DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a problem with there transmission slipping on takeoff. I bought my car in Virginia, and my neighbor bought his in Pennsylvania. We Both have 1998 ES (silver) and we both have a problem with our transmissions slipping. Need a little advice, I have put to much money in my car to let it go!

Thanks Alot D'Mont

·
Registered
714 Posts
make sure the trans fluid is red and not brown.
make sure the trans fuid doesn't smell burnt.

Replace the trans fluid (if it doesn't smell burnt and is still red) with ATF+4. Purchase the ATF+4 from the dealer.

If it does smell burnt and is brownis in color... Set aside $2000.00 and drive it till the transmission dies. Then replace/rebuild the transmission.

Hardwarz

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the trans fluid is red. It does not smell burnt. So I still have a fighting chance huh? I'll pass on the info to my neighbor. Thanks alot. I have racked my brain trying to figure out the problem. Thanks again. Will have pics soon.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Mine feels like it engages suddenly, almost as if the torque converter isn't properly set-up. And it only does this once or twice during the drive and always at the beginning of the trip. It's a 2004 with 6800km on it

·
Registered
448 Posts
I hope you don't need a new tranny, but if you do, go search for one or two [neighbor] on eBay. They can be had for under $500. Just make sure there is a warr that makes sense.

I get a 'bump' from 1st to 2nd every once in a while. Been getting it for all 51,000 miles. 5-Star says its OK. Many threads, reprogramming of tranny, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at the Tran Fluid and it did not smell burnt. So I went and got a fluid flush. Everything seems to be fine now so I'll ride this out until...... I also added a an additive so that it will preserve the problem for a little while longer. I have my money for a new Trans but I'm going to wait until the last minute. Thanks

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
How many miles or kms do you have on it?

·
Registered
187 Posts
D'Mont said:
...... I also added a an additive so that it will preserve the problem for a little while longer.
Intrepid transmissions can be very tempermental...I'd be careful using "any" additives in the fluid mix. The conventional wisdom here would seem to recommend using only the factory-original ATF +4 fluid from the dealer with no friction modifiers or additives.

Good Luck!

Cheddar

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks man. I'm prepared to pay the money for a new but I was just trying to get a few extra miles out of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts