DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just picked a blank and uncut transponder key off ebay for $20.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=601915631

Now all I need to do is get it cut, and program it.

I emailed the guy and he said programming was very easy, and the key comes with instructions.

I'll let you know if I get it working :)

Sure as hell beats paying $140 at the dealer!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Easy to program, if you have two working keys already.

1. Insert 1st good key in the ignition, turn to "start", turn to "off", remove key.

2. Repeat the above with the 2nd good key.

3. Insert new key and turn to "start". You will here a tone, the sentry light on your dash pad will stay lit and the key will be programmed. I believe you will here another tone and your sentry light will turn off when programming is complete. Takes about 15 seconds.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That's when the dealer has you by the short and curly's. There's a reason they charge you $50 for 20 sec work - only game in town.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Rick W:
That's when the dealer has you by the short and curly's. There's a reason they charge you $50 for 20 sec work - only game in town.
$50....try $140!! ..and they said they need my car for an hour.

I don't need a spare key that badly...just thought it would be nice to have another, for under $50.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just noticed you have a remote starter. You should be able to use your starter as one of the good keys.

I have a Pursuit unit as well. When I had mine installed, they used a good key (filed down) that they mounted near the starter electronics and used a inductive coupler to bring the signal back up to the ignition.

Just start the car with the remote then shut it down immediately. Proceed with steps 2 & 3.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just wondering, where is your second key? If you ever find your car stolen, probably from the original owner that decided they wanted to keep a key ;)

Or the dealer kept it hoping you would ask for a second key and they give you the key that CAME with the car and charge you $150

·
Registered
69 Posts
:eek:

Wow! You guys are getting hosed. I bought my car a couple of months ago and did not pay anywhere near that for the extra key. I paid $65 (Canadian) for the key with included the cutting and programming of it.

I might be worth the drive across the border if you really need the extra key.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My dealer quoted me ~$50 for the key and another $50 for the programming.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Best $23.25 I ever spent :D ($20.00 for the key and $3.25 to have it cut).

Well, I just had my key cut today at a local locksmith. I programmed it by using the Remote Starter first, then the 1 key that I had, and it programmed perfectly :) Didn't have any problems at all!

Woohoo...I got a spare key now!

·
Registered
18 Posts
In order to use your remote starter to get the signal from the chip in the key that is installed under the dash in the extra remote start module, you must tie into the wait-to-start wire on the autostart. Because your not supposed to start the car when programming extra keys, only turn the ignition on, then off. Secondly, depending on when you had the remote start put in there has been technology upgrades that makes it possible to program a module just like a uncoded key that will remember the transponder code and you don't lose a key that has to be hidden under the dash. So if you never gave them a extra key it won't work. If the key is under the dash the easiest way to do it would give the wait-to-start wire on the autostart (-) trigger (put it to ground) and push the autostart. Otherwise if you don't feel comfortable doing that you must find the extra module and get your key out of it. The most important thing is to make sure your sentry light comes on on the dash by your gages after every key is put in the ignition, or autostarted to make sure it recieved the signal from the transponder or you will not be able to program the extra key.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should try a site called ChipKeys.com. I got a key transponder key for a 2000 Toyota Sienna for $13.50, and a key for a transponder key for a 2002 Dodge Neon for $10.50. Any local hardware store with a key machine can cut it. I have one here in town that doesn't even charge.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts