DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trep was assaulted yesterday at my place of employment. I came out side to the trep to get some change for a coke and I noticed someone hit my right part of my rear bumper. They didn't leave a note or anything. I poped the dent out but now insted of looking like a car hit it, it looks like it was hitby a shopping cart. This means I will probably replace it. Anyone know anything about alternate looks for the bumpers on the trep. I wouldn't mind changing up the look a bit if I am going to be changing out the bumpers anyways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LoL Now I have something even more disturbing to tell. On the way to practice today the heat gauge showed hot so I pulled over into a grocery store parking lot. A little steam was coming from under the cooling housing unit. I put my hand on the lid to the coolant housing unit to see if it was hot and it was. Then BAM I had fluid spewing out of the cooling housing and out from under the car. So I go inside the grocery store and buy some coolant for my car. I filled the coling housing about half way with the coolant and started on my way home. I get on the highway and about a mile or two down the highway the heat gauge stoped reading hot and went to cool and the red light on the left side of the panel went off and my check engine light can on. I continue to drive home and right as I am getting off the highway everything locks up and I hit the brakes, the car is dead. I tried to start it and it just made a noise like a grunt. So I jumped out of the car poped the hood when these girl asked me if I need a ride, I said yes and they drove me to my house. I went inside and called some people to help me no one could. So I finaly got someone to take me back out there and I brought water to fill the coolant housing back up. When I got there the coolant housing was completly empty. I filled it up with water insted of the expensive fluid. after I filled it up I noticeda hole in the coolant housing on top, so I plugged it with electrical tape (it was all I had in my car) and it reluctanly started up. After it started up I dropped my friend back near where she parked her car and I headed home. About a mile down the road at a stop sign I lost all power again. I jumped out of the car poped the hood but this time the water was still in the coolant housing anly some had came out. so I got back in the car and started it up which it didn't start well. I drove it home about another mile and it died again right when I got it in the driveway. Anyone have any Ideas what the problam might be?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Schultzie said:
LoL Now I have something even more disturbing to tell. On the way to practice today the heat gauge showed hot so I pulled over into a grocery store parking lot. A little steam was coming from under the cooling housing unit. I put my hand on the lid to the coolant housing unit to see if it was hot and it was. Then BAM I had fluid spewing out of the cooling housing and out from under the car. So I go inside the grocery store and buy some coolant for my car. I filled the coling housing about half way with the coolant and started on my way home. I get on the highway and about a mile or two down the highway the heat gauge stoped reading hot and went to cool and the red light on the left side of the panel went off and my check engine light can on. I continue to drive home and right as I am getting off the highway everything locks up and I hit the brakes, the car is dead. I tried to start it and it just made a noise like a grunt. So I jumped out of the car poped the hood when these girl asked me if I need a ride, I said yes and they drove me to my house. I went inside and called some people to help me no one could. So I finaly got someone to take me back out there and I brought water to fill the coolant housing back up. When I got there the coolant housing was completly empty. I filled it up with water insted of the expensive fluid. after I filled it up I noticeda hole in the coolant housing on top, so I plugged it with electrical tape (it was all I had in my car) and it reluctanly started up. After it started up I dropped my friend back near where she parked her car and I headed home. About a mile down the road at a stop sign I lost all power again. I jumped out of the car poped the hood but this time the water was still in the coolant housing anly some had came out. so I got back in the car and started it up which it didn't start well. I drove it home about another mile and it died again right when I got it in the driveway. Anyone have any Ideas what the problam might be?
Hate to say it but if you put cold coolant/water in the engine while it was hot, you may have cracked your block.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I just replaced the (cooling housing), coolant return resivour. I am about to fill it up with water and see what happens and maybe drive to auto zone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I risked the travel to go to auto zone so they could run the diagnostics on my computer to tell me why the check engine light was on and the code read for temp sensor. It was 14.99 or 16.17 with tax. Once I got it I waited to start the trep until it was cool. I added some water and some fluid once the car cooled and started on my way home. I must have stalled 20 times before I got 6 miles down the road. With another 2 miles to go it stalled and this time it wouldn't stay started luckily some nice crackheads pulled over after about a half an hour of waiting and pulled me to my house. Now I am going to put the sensor on and see what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts
my car overheated once due to a bad water pump....the solution was engine replacement. Its possible that the head hasket went and is allowing water into the cylinders. The would create a engine misfire code potntially...and plug up your cats. Try doing a compression check next in the sensor stuff doesnt help. Also check for coolant in the oil. It will look mily white
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
It should be right on the or by the thermostat housing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,381 Posts
you will be lucky if you did not screw up things worse by continually driving the overheated stalling car. might have been just the sensor or thermostat to begin with but now could be much more. not good for an engine to overheat it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ChicagoTRS said:
you will be lucky if you did not screw up things worse by continually driving the overheated stalling car. might have been just the sensor or thermostat to begin with but now could be much more. not good for an engine to overheat it...
Very true, but I only drove it in excess of ten miles. My options are very limited as I only have one car. I needed to get the car to auto zone so they could run the diagnostics on it. As for the temp sensor, it was by the thermostat housing. Right after I wrote that I went out to the car and there it was right in front of my eyes. So, I replaced it and it turned the check engine light off, but now I am going to change all of the spark plug in it. One of the plugs had a bit of oil on it. I will also try and change the oil tonight also just to be safe. The date for an oil change was coming up soon anyways. The engine is still shuttering, but I hope changing the plugs and probably the plug wires will remedy all of this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,369 Posts
Schultzie said:
Very true, but I only drove it in excess of ten miles. My options are very limited as I only have one car. I needed to get the car to auto zone so they could run the diagnostics on it. As for the temp sensor, it was by the thermostat housing. Right after I wrote that I went out to the car and there it was right in front of my eyes. So, I replaced it and it turned the check engine light off, but now I am going to change all of the spark plug in it. One of the plugs had a bit of oil on it. I will also try and change the oil tonight also just to be safe. The date for an oil change was coming up soon anyways. The engine is still shuttering, but I hope changing the plugs and probably the plug wires will remedy all of this.

Thats what tow trucks are for. Never..Never ever run your car overheated. Not even down the street. If the temp guage starts to rise, turn it off and get it serviced before you drive it again. Sounds like its to late for your engine. Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts
aluminum heads dont like heat...they like to warp...that means they neeed to be shaved or replaced $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

look into it, but oil on a spark plug on such a modern car is not a good thing. Do a compression test or preferably a leak down test
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay her is todays list of things that I replaced: temp sensor, thermostat, all six plugs. The sytem is running cool, the check engine light is off and the car will be drivable tomorrow when I replace a broken spark plug wire I hope. I know it is drivable now, but it will putt untile I get the new plug wire which I destroyed. The first place it will be driven when I get the plug wire is to the dealer, so they can do a full inspection on the car.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top