DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was on 275 and a mustang passed me and i got on it and got on his ass and as i was passing him we both sall the same damn thing a damn cop i was doing 110 thank god i know the cop and he let me off a little but i got him and i was talking to the guy and he sad that he thought a damn trep could not take him and he sad it was on the floor and as we sall the cop i took the lead so i did it and did not think i could do it

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
what year stang? the only mustang my 3.3 can beat is the 2.3L foxbody. anything newer than '93 can whoop me.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I know everyone else will probably not agree and this will probably create all kinds of controversy as always but I kind of disagree.

Twice I was really close with early 90's Mustang 5.0's, I know Mustangs, they were GT 5.0's, but I'm sure it was probably an auto and perhaps was not running very well or didn't have a very good driver. I even slowly pulled away from one at around 60MPH when I got a good, clean second gear kickdown in my 95 3.3L. They're fast but I don't see what all the major juice is about Mustangs, My parents owned two 93' 5.0's and I am very aware of what they can do.

I will admit the 5 speed manuals are the ones that probably can't be beat by most treps though, with a good 5 Speed driver! My step dad's now got a 4.6L (Automatic) that I could keep up with in my 99 3.2LES (Autostick). If you have a 3.3L that's tuned up well and running good and get's a good, clean second gear kick down on the freeway, a 3.3 can almost keep up to a 5.0, well, at least I have done this twice in my 95' 3.3L, while racing. I beat an 86/87 GT on the freeway in my 99ES 3.2L once, yeah really racing. Yeah, he probably had an Automatic but still, there's a lot of automatic Mustangs out there. No one really beleived that I did that, well I did do it with a friend in the car as a witness. Fine, maybe he didn't know how to drive either but I know he was going fast. I'm not saying I beat the hell out of him, he was fast! Not to be an a$$ but if people start saying that this can't be done I'm going to have to start thinking that some people don't know how to drive fast.

Later guys,
MoparPerformance :cool:

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: MoparPerformance ]

·
980 Posts
If I am not mistaken 86 or 87 was the last of the carbed version of the 5.0 and if I remember they were quite fast I know A guy that bought a plain jane coupe with the 5.o and it ran the very low 14.s so I do think you beat a] he was not trying b]his car was on it s death bed c]you are full of it

·
980 Posts
Look, all I am trying to point out is,there are alot of us here that have alot more life situations, and have seen over eager guys put there foot in their mouth in all the excitement,but owning a 2.7 and having driven alot of cars we have to take your statements with a grain of salt, not calling you wrong but please think before you make some outrageous claims, I know for a fact a 77 3.0 bmw is faster then 2.7 intrepid and I know 5.0 mustang gt is faster than 3.0 bmw

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Look in this months Car and Driver. Page 110 a 260hp 5 speed Mustang GT 14.7 1/4 mile. But the same top speed as the Intrepid R/T 139 mph. So the Auto i am guessing here would be a little slower top end and 1/4 mile times. Drivers have a lot to do with it also. This last fall a saw a Bullitt Mustang that ran about 6 15.9 to 15.8 untill he finally learned to hook it up and ran a couple of 15.2`s. So you never know. But in most cases a Mustang GT 5 speed should be faster than a Intrepid even the R/T`s.

·
980 Posts
yeah and a 2.7 is not going to keep up with an r/t intrepid despite the extra 20hp for the k&N {yeah right 20 hp}

·
Registered
602 Posts
Never said anything about my 2.7L keeping up with a Mustang....?

Stay tuned guys..... I'll quit typing right now and I'll quit saying stuff, cause I have a video my friend and I put together of my Intrepid. It'l be posted on the forum and available for download real soon. No it aint all that but check it out.... It's pretty cool....

Look, I don't make statements just to say them, any statements I have made are true in regard to what I have done. If you don't beleive them then it's completely cool with me and I don't really care who in fact believes me because I know what I have done in my Treps.

Later guys, Take care!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Again, I never said I knew for sure it was putting out 220HP but if felt like it was putting out something around there.

I went out to my parents house and was driving back from a restraunt side by side with my dad in my trep. My dad has a 99 GT 4.6L w/260HP. He was in the right lane and wanted to show off and pass the hell out of me so he punched it, at 30MPH I punched it, too, got a good, clean 1st gear kickdown, the car lunged forwared and was side by side with him. I know I would have easily got slaughtered if he had a manual or if we did this from a dead stop. There's times a trep can come out on top even a 2.7L with a little increase from an intake.

Last night, I raced a 5.0 Mustang GT (looked like a 93'). I had a witness riding with me in my trep. It was on the Altamont Pass in California, hopefully someone was out there to witness it so there aint any more of this I'm full of shhht stuff....

I saw him fly past in the right lane where there were some openings and I said oh shhht, I'm gonna race him, I got a good clean second gear kick down at around 65MPH, I managed to catch up and we were side by side. Yes he was racing, he was driving like a maniac too! I got another clean kick down when we had to slow down to around 70MPH due to traffic, I eventually passed him up, he was driving like a maniac to catch up before giving up. I then ran it at 110MPH for a few miles and slowly ended up pullin away. NO, I didn't beat the hell out of it or smoke past it but I did manage to pull away from it. Of course I am always open to the possibility that this driver could have lacked ability, engine perhaps wasn't running very well and I'm sure it was an Automatic or if a 5 speed manual, they weren't very good with it.

The problem with Intrepids is that being that they are large, heavy vehicles with small engines and 4 speed Automatic trannys there are major Torque gaps where you can't get much Torque and accel between gears. This is usually why treps hurt so bad sometimes during races. I really think that treps deserve a 5 speed tranny.

If a driver knows his TRS (Transmission Range Sensor)'s perameters and you can get some good, clean hard tranny kickdowns a trep can get some good results, even a 2.7L. And yeah, I beleive that the K&N Intake does help, also proves to me that I am probably kickin' out about 220HP. I don't think I would have even tried that without it in a 2.7L.

And as far as the R/T thing, I've driven an 01' R/T and an 02' R/T. I also know what they're about. They're mean, they're R/T's though and should be.

The 98-02 2.7L base models are geared where they can actually be almost as quick due to the improvement in gearing. I'm not saying as, but almost.

Some notes: Chrysler implimented the same improved gearing in the ES starting 2000 and the R/T for 2002. I would say that I could probably nearly touch a 2000-2001 R/T just not the 2002 with the gearing change.

Yeah of course an R/T would beat me, I never said one couldn't. And man, you aint gotta be a jerk about the K&N...

I could buy an R/T as well, right now I think it would be intresting to crank some power out of this little 2.7L and suprise some people though. At this time my insurance is cheaper and I get better fuel economy with the 2.7L so it works best for me right now. I know an R/T and a lot of other cars can beat me, i'll admit it so of course I'm not gonna take that one to the track right.

I've decided to get an R/T later when they're improved.

Later,

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i'll eat my accordian tubing if you push 220hp.

·
Registered
602 Posts
didn't say 220 for sure, seems to be around there my friend.... around there, you gonna still eat it then??? :D

The air ripples roughly through an accordian tube instead of flowing much more smoothly through a smooth surface like an intake. The airbox also chokes your engine's air supply a little because it's pretty much enclosed except for it's underneath venting plus it's pulling the air upward through the filter. The K&N filter that comes with the intake kit is also extremely large and being round it pulls air directly 360 deg.

The reason auto manufacture's have this type of air restricted design is usually because of restrictions and the idea that most of their customer's do not want cars that make a loud roaring noise when you punch it. (An annoying high pitched noise applies to Honda's etc.) :D

If I get time to dyno and my feeling that this car is puttin' out around 220HP is correct you may actually be eating your accordian tube. I don't expect you to really eat it though. It probably wouldn't taste very good, It probably wouldn't be like eating KFC. :D

Later,

[ January 21, 2002: Message edited by: MoparPerformance ]

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
I woulg gladly donate a couple dollars toward dyno testing or a test and tune day at the drags to prove your actual horsepower is nowhere near what you think it is

seat of the pants HP estimates are only worth so much, let's see some numbers to back it up, then we will believe every word you say

you say that you do so much "real racing" all I hear is stories of you passing people on the highway and calling it a kill, you claim that you know for a fact that these mustangs were racing you, yet you don't even know if they are manual or automatic, so how can you call that a real race? your latest story explains how you can weave through traffic better than a mustang, sorry but that's not a true kill. You say you ran at 110mph and were "pulling away from him" sorry but even a base model mustang can hit 110MPH, my mustang was verified that the top speed was 152MPH, verified not estimated

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yeah and my dad's done 140MPH in his 99GT. No, it aint verified but it was done. I don't own and never claimed I owned any real race worthy cars now so why would I even waste my time going around verifying everything. When I take a piss, do you want that verified too??? I didn't say that my top speed was faster, I am admittedly speed restricted at 110MPH, which can be removed if I ever feel it necessary. At 65-70MPH kickdown I pulled ahead. That's all I'm saying. Again I stated I didn't smoke it or anything. Traffic was only a factor twice when we had to slow down because of it, there was no weaving in and out of traffic the whole time. I have done this twice to 5.0's in my 99ES 3.2L, really racing.

Of course no one is absolutely sure of anything, but you can usually tell when someone is racing you. The eye contact, change of their engine noise, they're driving attitude. Hell, perhaps you don't even own an Intrepid??? I assume you do but it's just an example. ;) If that's the case then I guess no one should be allowed to post kills on this site because we sometimes do not know for sure. The only time you'll know for sure is if you race someone at the track or someone you know, which is usually much less common.

I guess I'm going to have to try and get some video footage of that too.... gotta prove every damn thing.... making me work....!

I'll also be glad to remember to bring my X-Ray glasses so I next time know for sure if it's a manual or automatic.

How are you gonna talk about proving that the horsepower is no where near what I think when you don't even know yourself??? I wasen't aware that you owned a 2.7L Intrepid with the same K&N kit I installed.... My apologies.... Well, at least I don't act so sure when I don't know....

Aren't you the same guy that told me my 99ES 3.2L couldn't do 120? when I had done 120 in it several times even with witnesses. Man I wished I got that on video too, you would have looked real stupid. Don't mean to sound like a jerk but I don't like people being so sure something is not when they don't know for sure themselves.

Later,

[ January 21, 2002: Message edited by: MoparPerformance ]

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
timeslips are not for raceworthy cars only, I have seen bracket races between 18 second station wagons, this is what test and tune is for, a fun day of seeing what you and your car can do without spending big bucks, usually all the tracks require is $25 and a DOT/SNELL helmet

my local track has test and tune starting on 4/7 and I guarantee you that I will be there running my trep down the strip and seeing what it can really do

maybe you should stop cruising with your buddies and find a strip to once and for all prove what you can do, here's a list of all the racetracks in California, maybe you and your dad can have a fun day racing each other at the track

racetrack list for california

seat of the pants estimates are worthless, I have done modifications to cars
(intakes, heads, exhaust and even nitrous) which I would of sworn added 100+ horsepower just to find out on the dyno that I only picked up 20-25HP

without proof all you have is stories and estimates

·
Registered
602 Posts
I didn't give it that much credit as if I knew for sure or something, I have mentioned the fact that it "felt like". I never said I was sure. I fully understand that the only real way to know is to take it to the track or dyno it and I have admitted this as well. I plan on doing both of those things. I really appreciate the list of the tracks. I'll check it out and hit one up when I get some time. Cruisin' with my buddies is still cool though....

Take care,

·
Registered
97 Posts
my car is boosting around(g-tech)220hp...no joke....
plus i raced a couple 93-94 4.7 liter stangs and I definately stayed up with them or even actually beat them(different ones,different times)5.0s and any of the newer ones are just too hard to compete with though...so far..

[ January 21, 2002: Message edited by: zwatman ]

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Burn a CD with the sound of a big GT40 or a Cobra and play that when you drive. Will it give you 350 HP? No, but I bet you would think so. A 2.7 is not limited by air volume. A K&N may sould louder but not any faster. Show me a dyno run(before and after) and I will believe you. Its amazing the power of advertising, Put 20HP on a box and they believe it.

Also there were no 4.7's in 93-94

[ January 21, 2002: Message edited by: adaptabl ]

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
the last year for carbed 5.0's was '85, with a Holly 4-bbl they could do high 14's, but 86-87 had the EFO 5.0 and they also did 14's

1 - 20 of 39 Posts