DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...well I'm planning on driving down to Texas next month (from upstate NY) ..it's 1600+ miles, so I want to do a little preventive maintanance. I've driven between states before, (not in my trep yet) but this is the farthest I've gone yet. I always like to do a check and change fluids when traveling a distance. So far I change the oil every 3k, but now that my car (2.7L) has about 38k on it, I'm thinking of changing the sparkplugs. It looks a little complicated with seperate coils, and the depth of each plug. Has anyone run into problems changing them? And what is the best plugs anyone's used on this motor? I've usually used Bosch or Autolite platinum in previous cars. I would also like to do a tranny fluid change. How hard is it to get to the pan? I guess that about covers it...I am going to rotate my tires and check out all hoses and connections, etc. Ok one last question...I was thinking of installing a larger Hayden transmission cooler because the stock one looks kinda dinky and I question it's effectiveness...anyone done this before? Okay..any help would be appreciated.....thanks.:cool:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...Oh yeah...I just bought a few DodgeIntrepidNet decals that I will be applying to my windows...you know, a little advertising along the way...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I believe the tranny fluid can be just flushed by pouring out the contents and refilling them in the transmission pan, but I am not sure on this.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Axle said:
I believe the tranny fluid can be just flushed by pouring out the contents and refilling them in the transmission pan, but I am not sure on this.
Well... close Alex but not really... :crazy: ... How about if Cobra prys the tranny pan loose, allows the fluid to drain, then he finally drops the pan, cleans everything out, stuffs in a new filter, close the pan back up, then add the appropiate amount of tranny fluid. Yeah that's it. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
the tranny cooler should be fine unless you are towing or carrying a really heavy load. not sure on the spark plug change as i have a 96. good luck and have a safe trip

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
cobra65 said:
I'm thinking of changing the sparkplugs. It looks a little complicated with seperate coils, and the depth of each plug. Has anyone run into problems changing them? And what is the best plugs anyone's used on this motor? I've usually used Bosch or Autolite platinum in previous cars.
I heard that Champion is a good brand to go with. I haven't changed mine out yet. Why do you want to change them at 38k ? 60k is a good rule of thumb. The torque on the plugs (I think you have a 2.7L right Cobra?) will be 156 in/lbs. And the gap will be .048-.058 inches and the stock part # is RE10PMC5. Remove the plug coil from each spark plug, remove the two bolts, disconnect the cconnector, and pull the coil and its plug boot out. Use compressed air to blow away any debris. Remove the plug by using the spark plug socket, and turning counterclockwise. Good luck, and let us know how things turn out. :)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
cobra65 said:
...Oh yeah...I just bought a few DodgeIntrepidNet decals that I will be applying to my windows...you know, a little advertising along the way...:thumbsup:
Very cool that you got some DI/Net decals - they supposedly add almost as much extra power as a turbo sticker would! :D (I've got mine waiting to go on!)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
check your tires and spare tire for proper air pressure and make sure you have your tire jack and tire iron just incase.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks...I was wondering if the factory plugs were platinum? I think they are, but I'm not positive....if they are, I will forego the plug change and save the hastle for now. As for the tranny fluid...I thought I heard some members change thier fluid every 30k or so. might be good breakdown insurance...I was just wonderinghow hard it is to do on the treps.....I've done it on other FWD cars, but the engines were positioned sideways....

As far as the decals...I've had one of the old type silver ones on my back bumper for the psat year....only thing is, it don't show up too good against my gold trep, so I bought ones for the back and side windows....

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would make sure that you have a full size spare cause that doughnut is pure crap especially if you get a flat on the front tires.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
hell cobra, if you are driving down rt. 81 let me know i just removed the factory rims and have one with a tire mounted if you need let me know

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
cobra65 said:
Thanks...I was wondering if the factory plugs were platinum? I think they are, but I'm not positive....if they are, I will forego the plug change and save the hastle for now.
They aren't platinum. Most people who have used platinums have reported lower gas milage, or other problems.

Best idea is to go with the OEM Champion Gold plugs that come from the factory. I know that some NAPA stores carry them.

I can look up the plug part number if you need it later... I know its on other threads.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
!!!! the plugs aren't platinum from the factory?! Crap! with 39k on my car, the plugs must be crap by now! I'll have to change them...so why would platinum give lower mileage?

Dabirdz96...thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it, but I won't be going down 81....I'll be heading west past Buffalo, and then down 90 to 71.....etc towards Kentucky......yeah I had to use that "convienience" spare before.... what the hell is so convienient about removing all the stuff out of your trunk to get to it? And ever notice when you have that on...the little dweebs in thier econo boxes start to screw with you? And you can't do nothing about it....lol..

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn 2001RT...that black on black Intrepid of yours looks badass....I'd like to get those rims for my car...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts