DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 ES with the 3.5L. The past few days it has been giving me the trouble code 51 - O2 sensor indicates the engine is running lean. This only happens when when driving down the highway for an extended period - greater than thirty miles - and then it will come on after driving through city streets for a couple of miles. I replaced the passenger side O2 sensor hoping that would fix the problem - no luck. The driver O2 sensor is only about 20,000 miles old. What will cause the engine to run lean? What else should I start checking?

Thanks,
William Crawley

·
Registered
60 Posts
Had the same thing on my 95. It was a combination of things. If no other sensor errors are present like mine it was a small leak around the intake manifold. Replacing the gasket was cheap and while I had the intake off I cleaned it and the jet ports of carbon. Ran like new afterwards.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I think there is 2 o2 sensors so check the other im not sure but wait a while. And some other people post up about it i hope :D

·
Registered
456 Posts
My folks had the same problem with their 95 Jeep GC. The folks at the Dodge dealership finally got sick of replacing the O2 sensors (about 5 times) @ their expense so they asked a few questions about what kind of gas they used, what grade of gas, and also if they left the engine running while they filled the tank. I don't know what kind of effect that has on the system but after they stopped letting the engine run while refilling, they never had another problem with the O2 sensors. Hope this might shed some light on your matter.
Jeff :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts