DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gf is moving to Toronto and has decided to get a car....she CAN'T drive...I mean the worst I have ever seen yet she was able to "acquire" a licence. She has about 3-4 thousand to spend on a car and needs something reliable in the small to mid size catagory, but more importantly I want to steer her in the direction of something with a 5 star crash test rating front, back, sides, and roll over......I hope not, but she very well may need it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Lmfao umm i think its time for a friendly chat with her and some beind the wheel time beofre she gets a car might wanna try to reason with her <i know thats going to be hard with her being a women> Th Best thing to do is get her COMFORTABLE with drving with out showing your nervous or yelling at her.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Its not that hard to teach or even just help someone practice driving relaxed and confident... even women. My sister was as good on her first try driving as i was about 2 weeks into it. Just drive with her and don't be too overbearing or scolding. Do it like a drivers test... let her drive and just give small directions or pointers.

Josiah

·
Registered
393 Posts
Humvees are pretty sturdy..not the watered-down civvie version...get her a surplus Army one...that way, if and when she gets into an accident, the dents will only add character, lol :smile-l:

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
1981 cutlass supreme.... I took down signs at 45mph with mine...lol... at least thats all i will admit too. It was wrecked NUMEROUS times by me, my mom, and other people... BUT it never really had more than a ding in the doors.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
DJDiggler said:

Get her a smart car... safest thing to drive!!!!

next to a street bike that is... ;)

EDIT: I was jokin but watch this: :notify:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/60538/smart_car_crash/

I'd still never drive one but, Damn!! Thats impressive! (untill a semi runs over you and squishes you flat anyway)
Actually DJ, a smart car would be a fine idea for a relatively poor driver. They would be easy to drive and if she did hit someone else, they may have a chance of survival. There would also be less damage to the other vehicle compared to hitting it with a truck.

A Hummer would be a poor choice for a new driver. The size will be intimidating and you could potentially run over an innocent family in one of those.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well there have been some interesting suggestions so far.

As for teachig her to drive I spent a few months taking her out every night, hardly left the big empty parking lots though because she was so bad she couldn't maintain a straight line or make a turn and then straighten back out. Truely hopeless, truely

The any more input on the volvo suggestion (remember she needs cheap 3-4K and reliable) I don't think the 81 Cutless is a good idea, too old, lots of maintenance, hard on gas, and hard to find...am I right?)

I don't think the Smart car is a good idea, too damn small can't be that safe. Plus its WAY too slow, I'm told it pretty much tops out around 90km/h for safe long term operation... you gotta be able to go at least 110km/h on the 401 in Toronto..faster realistically unless you want to be the one causeing the hold up.
And as for the Hummer H1...I already looked, can't find any for less than 40K...and that one was a 91 with 400K miles on it, I guess they don't depreciate in value.

Oh and I thought about the easy to drive Smart verses the hard to drive Hummer and the way I figure, its better to be safe yourself and run others over, thats what insurance is for, at least YOU are alive after the reck that way.

·
Registered
566 Posts
There is always the option of having her take driving lessons, someone else there to help her and teach her who is not you and paid to get her to do 'better'. Learning to drive with my Dad was a mistake bc he was always ON me for every little thing just made me more nervous. My driving instructor was still ON me for little things but knew when to shut up and let me 'screw up' then tell me what I did wrong and how to do it better etc.

A used minivan or truck/suv but not a big one would be good so she can see more of the road, the better view she has of the road the better she will feel knowing what is ahead of her etc. A big vehicle is a nice 'defense' for impacts but unwieldy and has more blind spots etc for an inexperienced driver putting auxially mirrors on, not just circle mirrors might help her see more of the road.

A driving instructor might have a better time figuring out what her 'problem' is one of mine learning was I was trying to look into all my mirrors all the time as my instructor told me but obviously you can't drive while looking in your mirrors.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I definitely agree with windowpane. I would have someone else teach her, no offense to you. I know when I was learning to drive, my dad was much better to learn from than my mom. Mom would do that thing where she kicks the firewall if she thinks i'm not going to brake, and puts her hand on the dash like shes holding on for dear life. She would CONSTANTLY tell me what speed she would go, when to slow down, etc. Some things you just have to feel when driving, and I think she was very overbearing, if thats the right word. I would spend the money (whoever is spending it in this situation) to make sure she has the full 5 hour (whatever the requirement is in your location) classroom course and a paid professional teacher before she attempts the test. Some people are just slower to learn, or afraid, or just think they can't do it, so it takes them longer. I was like that for a while, and like I said before, my sister learned so much faster than I did. It took me at least a month to be confident driving and it was only a few weeks with my sister and she drove at least half the way on a 700 round trip to Pennsylvania. I was impressed. Anyways... good luck with the situation and try not to force her into a highway situation or heavy traffic until SHE feels confident enough. You do not want an accident before she even knows how to drive. Hope this helps!

Josiah

windowpane said:
There is always the option of having her take driving lessons, someone else there to help her and teach her who is not you and paid to get her to do 'better'. Learning to drive with my Dad was a mistake bc he was always ON me for every little thing just made me more nervous. My driving instructor was still ON me for little things but knew when to shut up and let me 'screw up' then tell me what I did wrong and how to do it better etc.

A used minivan or truck/suv but not a big one would be good so she can see more of the road, the better view she has of the road the better she will feel knowing what is ahead of her etc. A big vehicle is a nice 'defense' for impacts but unwieldy and has more blind spots etc for an inexperienced driver putting auxially mirrors on, not just circle mirrors might help her see more of the road.

A driving instructor might have a better time figuring out what her 'problem' is one of mine learning was I was trying to look into all my mirrors all the time as my instructor told me but obviously you can't drive while looking in your mirrors.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Despite the fact that she can't actually drive she has already "attained" a licence. Overbearing teaching isn't really the issue, I tried everything from the "in your face, this is how its done" approach to the "sleeping in the passenger seat and letting her do whatever she wanted" approach....but all that is beside the point...I just need a good suggestion as to what kind of car to recomment to her, now that she has moved to Toronto and plans to buy a car and start driving immediately. As stated before impact safelty is key, reliablility is second, and fuel economy would be nice.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
IntrepidSportDriver said:
...Overbearing teaching isn't really the issue, I tried everything from the "in your face, this is how its done" approach to the "sleeping in the passenger seat and letting her do whatever she wanted" approach...

it still might be a good idea to have a third party "teach" her, becuase even though you arent doing it, she could be panicking cuasing her to do all those things, becuase (for whatever reason, maybe not even logical) she thinks that either she is going to let you down, get you mad at her, or get you hurt.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
I highly recomend getting a third party to teach her. She will only take anything you say as criticizm (sp) and arguements can only ensue. And she can't blame you for teaching her bad habits that might cause her to fail her test.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The type of car doesn't really matter, if you or her are just planning on keeping her 'dumb ass' alive when she hits someone, you and her should be trying to get her to be a better driver THAT will accomplish something for her. Knowing how to drive and being watchful for other drivers while maintaining proper control of your car will do tons more for her than any top rated car for safety.

A third party taking her out on the road will get her more road time and if she doesn't drive well because she is inexperienced that will help, maybe if she is really bad she will need several 'sets' of lessons.

The only thing the car needs is to be reliable ie good operating condition brakes, steering, engine/acceleration when she needs it etc. A car with good visibility and small blind spots is good, that is why I recommended a minivan or truck since it sits 'higher' and gives you a better view of what is ahead of you so you can anticipate your moves. I think a jeep would be better you get a higher ride and it is shorter than a truck or minivan so you don't have to worry about a navigating the land 'boat'.

Try researching The Smith Driving System for her or just basic defensive driving techniques online. I don't recommend spending $400 for one of their programs I think time with any driving instructor would be better money spent and their 'techniques' are pretty much common sense. I did not pay for one of their courses but through work got some of their material saw a video took some dumb paper pamplet test etc.

http://www.smith-system.com/onroad.shtml

http://www.occupationalhazards.com/articles/10697

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.