DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Dodge Intrepid with 3.5L Engine
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started getting a P0340 code on my 1996 Dodge Intrepid 3.5L. I've read that this indicates a problem in the camshaft position circuit - most times, it is actually the sensor, but can sometimes be something else in the circuit.

Anyone have a good troubleshooting routine for this error code? Also, could it be a problem with the crankshaft position sensor or its circuit?

I've gotten a lot of indispensable advice here, and I'm hoping you will all (or at least one) of you will come through for me again.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,891 Posts
It's either the sensor or the timing belt is ready to pop!

When's the last time the timing belt was replaced in miles or time?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Car is presently at about 306,000 miles, belt (and water pump) were last replaced about 286,000.
Dang! That Intrepid has seen the world! I would assume because of the age and the mileage and when you changed the belt and pump last, it's probably a sensor. I would replace the sensor and reset the code ASAP just in case it's not a sensor. I'd hate for it to kill itself at 306k miles.

·
Registered
1996 Dodge Intrepid with 3.5L Engine
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dang! That Intrepid has seen the world! I would assume because of the age and the mileage and when you changed the belt and pump last, it's probably a sensor. I would replace the sensor and reset the code ASAP just in case it's not a sensor. I'd hate for it to kill itself at 306k miles.
I've always taken good care of my cars and they have rewarded me with longevity. The Intrepid is my favorite of the nine autos that I've owned and driven, and I'm hoping that it will be my last. I hope to die before the car does.

I've already replaced the sensor and cleared the code, but it returned immediately upon starting. Months ago, I went through all the wiring and vacuum lines at the back of the engine. I found a 4-inch length of wiring to the MAP sensor that had all of the insulation melted off (cut out the bad portion and spliced it back together) and most of the vacuum lines were broken or missing. I like the design of the hard plastic vacuum lines (especially the way they make routing them so clean and easy), but they had all gotten so brittle that literally touching them would cause them to crack and break.

My plan is to trace the wiring and to check the connector (possibly replace it). My biggest question at this point is whether or not I need to do the same with the crankshaft position sensor.circuit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts