DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the dodge service manual that I downloaded for my 2000 ES, and I noticed that the pipes are dual to behind the cats, then combine into a resonator...how hard would it be to run true dual exhaust? I have no problem with running both pipes through the stock routing location if they both will fit.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Are you sure you're not looking at the 300m exhaust system?
I'd look it up myself, but I'm in a lazy mood right now.

Duals may actually cause you to loose power and MPG depending on the engine in your vehicle and exhaust design. Backpressure is an important part of how these engines perform, it assists in areas such as scavenging. Much like mtorcycle engine design.

You might pick up some sound and looks though.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
IMO it'll be wasted money to go with true duals, since there's nothing serious to gain from this mod except for looks and sound wich you can get with the single in-dual out Flowmaster 80 type mufflers. Most of the guys in here run that setup and I can tell you it looks good and it sounds even better without shelling out the money for true duals. :bgtup:

·
Registered
76 Posts
TERMINATOR101CA said:
IMO it'll be wasted money to go with true duals, since there's nothing serious to gain from this mod except for looks and sound wich you can get with the single in-dual out Flowmaster 80 type mufflers. Most of the guys in here run that setup and I can tell you it looks good and it sounds even better without shelling out the money for true duals. :bgtup:

Also remember that to do true dual exhaust, you have to get two high-flow cats, and that is BIG $$$$. Thru and thru, it is not worth putting a true dual exhaust, not until you have lots of modifications that require better airflow (i.e turbo/super charger, etc). If fact it could even end up hurting your performance.

It is also true that these engines requires a little back pressure on them in orde to run right. But that deals mostly with timing, and valvle lap, and fuel efficiancy...... but that is for another day......

But if you do end up doing it. Replace your catylitic converter with two high-flows then follow those up with crossover pipe (just a simple 'H' pipe will work in these cars) then pipes back into your mufflers. At this point you have to play with the different mufflers in order to get the sound you want, dual exhaust changes the tone of you car A LOT, so you may even be able to remove the resonator. And if you actually do experience a loss of performance with your new exhaust, then a good set of headers will usually help that out.

My advice: Simply replace your pipes with larger pipes ( again, don't do too big), and use the single in dual out muffler that is used in corvettes. (no, not even corvettes are true dual cars). I think that both FlowPro, and Flowmaster makes that style of muffler. Ohh yeah, pay attention to your cars rear valance/molding. I know that on Intrepids there is a small indent for only one pipe, and it would look retarded to have two tips comming out.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Great White said:
Are you sure you're not looking at the 300m exhaust system?
If not then maybe you should. The DCX boys tuned that set up specifically for the 3.5HO. You can cut out two of the resonators for a little more tone without affecting performance.

TFC has pretty much mastered this and will be installing my M special exhaust in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Idaho-Intrepid said:
Also remember that to do true dual exhaust, you have to get two high-flow cats, and that is BIG $$$$.
No you wouldn't. You already have two cats stock (one on each side of the engine).

Unless they changed things in 2002, the stock setup goes something like this...

Most everyone who has gone the dual route, including me, has done it like this...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks...I will have to look into both, when I get back from the sandbox...I might have my dad do it while I am gone though, since I will be gone for a year.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Kitulu said:
Thanks...I will have to look into both, when I get back from the sandbox...I might have my dad do it while I am gone though, since I will be gone for a year.
Watch your back over there bro. I've lost a couple friends over there already (well, Afganistan).
Keep your freakin' eyes open and ears up!

Take care

BJ

·
Registered
714 Posts
Thanx for the nice graphix WarLord187, what if you loose the resonator? Any gains there, weight, perfomance, sound, etc?

Kitulu, keep your sh*t wired tight at all times!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Warlord187 said:
No you wouldn't. You already have two cats stock (one on each side of the engine).

Most everyone who has gone the dual route, including me, has done it like this...
QUOTE]

I am familiar with the two Cats on the Stock system, but the stock cats are no where near what you would want with a performance exhaust. They are too restrictive. Thes Cats were designed to restrict air, slow it down, and convert the noxious gasses to harmless water. High flows are just that, allow more CFM to pass thru un-obstructed.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Idaho-Intrepid said:
Warlord187 said:

QUOTE]

I am familiar with the two Cats on the Stock system, but the stock cats are no where near what you would want with a performance exhaust. They are too restrictive. Thes Cats were designed to restrict air, slow it down, and convert the noxious gasses to harmless water. High flows are just that, allow more CFM to pass thru un-obstructed.
dont forget that the factory cats are there left on for a reason, they supply the back pressure that you need when you have a motor that has no major mods, i e: turbo s/c. so i would leave the cats alon if you didnt touch the motor with trhose toys.
why cause our engines need so much backpressure due to the fact its dual over head cams. now on the old motors you didnt need that backpressure.
you can run true duals and have gained power.

also if you would want a nice smooth exhaust sound leave the mid resinator in. if you take it out like i did it will make the exhaust a little more louder.also there isnt much power gain on the exhaust, i couldnt feal anything difference.
but a louder exhaust.
your best bet is to do something like warlord showed you. o i have running sindeli n dual out 80 series flowmasters. i have remove all the resinators and left the cats alone. and the muffler looks like the camero setup.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Huh, why do dual exhaust valves need a bunch of back pressure?

All backpressure does is tune the engine for a certain RPM and also restricting other parts of the RPM range. So your bone stock car is designed for driveability, pep for the stop and go, and easy cruising at low revs. With the restriction of the cats, you will have nice low RPM grunt and hurts your top end because of the flow restriction. If you remove the cats, you will just teeder your torque curve to a higher RPM. You may notice a bit more down shifting of your cruise control, but you will more power at the top of your RPM range for sure. You would be silly if you don't upgrade atleast your air filter setup (like a cold air cone filter) if you remove the cats.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts