DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we when we bought our intrepid, it had a very heavy trunk. It slams shut and has hurt several people. Are the struts supposed to prevent this, or is this somethin that has been since it was made? Just wonderin if replacing them would make a difference or if there was an aftermarket product that would solve this.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Just replace the struts and it will work the way it is supposed to. It should actually take some force to close the trunk rather than just falling.

·
Grab Your ***** By The Horns
5,823 Posts
Okay that explains my trunk also.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
In '63 the Valiant (maybe other MoPars too) used a torsion bar system to hold the trunk open. The bars ran horizontally just below the rear windo package shelf and took up almost no space. They never had to be replaced, always worked right. I can't understand why simple mechanical systems that work are replaced with stuff that wears out.
If Chrysler would look back at some of the features of their cars of the past, they'd find a lot of good ones that they could bring back.

·
Dain bramaged
7,214 Posts
In '63 the Valiant (maybe other MoPars too) used a torsion bar system to hold the trunk open. The bars ran horizontally just below the rear windo package shelf and took up almost no space. They never had to be replaced, always worked right. I can't understand why simple mechanical systems that work are replaced with stuff that wears out.
If Chrysler would look back at some of the features of their cars of the past, they'd find a lot of good ones that they could bring back.
1st gens have this system

·
Registered
81 Posts
Maybe I'm being too cynical but maybe it's because people don't have to replace simple mechanical systems, resulting in a smaller market for parts and less money to be made.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '04 SXT. Is it possible for the struts to be installed upside down? Mine take some effort to open, especially near the end of their travel, but will easily slam shut with no effort.

Thx.

·
Registered
424 Posts
napa has them for around 30 bucks a piece, so about 65 bucks give or take. Autozone might be a bit cheaper though.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
mine seems to work fine. except when i auto release the trunk on my remote the trunk wont open all the way it would just click open and lift about half an inch an i would have to raise it all the way

·
Registered
41 Posts
No, there's a metal tab that actually raises the trunk lid after it unlocks, mine broke off, likely the same happened to yours. I can't find a replacement part for it at the dealer, will be looking for one from a scrap yard soon.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
What metal tab? I don't see any way, even with brand new struts, that the trunk lid would open al the way on its own, I'd love for someone to prove me wrong and show me how this can be done. Then I'd get mine to do it, that would be nice. :)

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
ii thought maybe the tension bars under near the rear speakers had to be adjusted somehow. I know there is an adjusting latches that you can move those horizontal bars. there is 3 spots you can put the bars to.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
What metal tab? I don't see any way, even with brand new struts, that the trunk lid would open al the way on its own, I'd love for someone to prove me wrong and show me how this can be done. Then I'd get mine to do it, that would be nice. :)
On it's own? Won't happen.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
doesn't matter which way they are installed, it sounds like yours are bad.
There is a specific way the trunk struts should be installed, the proper way is shown in the FSM. Same applies to hood struts...I wouldn't be installing those upside down.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Yeah, I thought not, I couldn't see any way to have it open on it's own. Maybe he was refering to the first gen. tortion bar system. On the second gen. however, if brand new struts would control the closing motion so it wasn't like a guillotine threatning to remove body patrs every time I closed it, that would be a nice change :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts