DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 95 Intrepid (puchased used)which appears to have came with a fleet car option/set-up. Anyway, it has p/l, p/w, 4-wheel disc w/ABS....but no power trunk release. The wiring/connector for the trunk release solenoid appears to there (after looking closely at a same model year w/power trunk release). I was wondering if anyone knows if the car is wired for the option and all I have to do is purchase & install the switch in the glove box and solenoid to get the much wanted option. Thanx all in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
i havent looked really close at it but i think i remember seeing a wire and such there and my car doesnt have the option either. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I love my first gen trunk release, if you want pics let me know, I can take detailed shots of anything you like (as is shots, not taken apart heh.)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Wutang15m said:
My car does hehe. I would instal it because it is a pain in the ass to get youre keys out of the ignition just to go and open the trunk :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Not to mention the added chance of getting surface scratches around the lock. I hate that. The first owner of my car must have used his keys more than the trunk release because there is a lot of scratches around the trunk lock.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I know, I know, this is a really old thread, but it seems to me like this topic was never fully covered because well, there is no How-To for this and no thread explaining how to do this. So, here we go.

Hello, yea, I found both of your threads pertaining to the subject here http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1117

and here http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13669 .

Unfortunately, there are some things that people either never bother with working on or they have no need to install or replace such an item. Furthermore, the Haynes manual has nothing on this issue as well. Looking at the kit itself, all you will be needing is the trunk release button itself with the little plastic piece it sits in, the wiring, the trunk motor (which you already have), and maybe a relay or two if they are missing. I have seen these items at almost every junk yard that had an Intrepid/Concorde/LHS/New Yorker/Vision and so on, and furthermore, each item is no more than a couple bucks, with the exception of the 12 volt source which is necessary to be added in the cars which were used as police cars where the feature was never added by request, but you say you have it, so that is not a problem. I also found a few links for you which you may find quite useful in your installation.

http://www.ultrastarters.com/installer_help/Trunk Release Diagrams.pdf

http://www.kidsandcars.org/trunc/install.htm

Since I do not know where in New Jersey you are, I ran a general search for 1994-1997 Dodge Intrepids and similar models found in yards across all of New Jersey, and it showed 52 different results, so the parts are out there, and they seldom (if ever) break, so once you buy it, it is pretty much guaranteed to be good forever.

Good luck with the project, and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
What the... He's being useful? Man, school's gotta be borning for Axle.

·
Registered
781 Posts
i did this about 2 days ago... not much of a project... the only thing that is tricky is finding the right one and making sure it fits right...
pretty much, it looks like you can just attach the power actuator to the existing latch, but that is mistaken... you need to find the entire assembly and it will more than likely run about $50 at the junk yard ( i got prices between 45 and 80 from different places, ended up paying 50). usually the hardest part of finding it is actually opening the trunk... if they have the keys still, that's cool, but if not have them get a portable jumper and give power to the car and try the trunk release in the glove... (if it works, you know you're golden, if not, you still probably can use it, just find another way of opening the trunk). You can't use the assembly off anything other than an intrepid (or maybe an eagle vision) te concorde's lock cylinder is offset and thus has a different mechanism to physically open the latch.
when you have the part, it just unscrews with an 8mm socket and you need to make sure it has no rust. well a little on the latch is ok, but the little metal strip where the white plug goes can't be rusted or else it won't work...
when you take yours out, look at where the screw was set in the metal and try to use that as a guide for how to screw in the new one... for a really good fit, screw it in about 85% of the way, just enough to nudge it around a bit and close the trunk, then open it and tighten the screws, that will ensure a good fit... also before you do that you might need to activate the actuator to open the latch, cause it might be in the closed position, making closing the trunk a bit hard.
all in all it took me no more than 10 minutes to do the whole thing and i can post pictures of the old assembly and the new one, as-is and taken off. i seriously love the thing now though... it makes the most wonderful sound when you open it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the info on this project is starting to come in. They wiring looks pretty straight forward. But I'm wondering....how do I remove the glove box to either look for some factory installed wiring for the button and/or so I can installed the needed wiring to place the button in the glove box like factory. Thanx all.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
When you open the glove box, there are 5 screws on the top edge, remove them, then squeeze the sides of the compartment until it come loose and then slide it out. It is image 23.19 in chapter 11 section 13 in the Haynes manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, I'm idiot...can't even call myself a backyard mechanic now. I never saw them while looking AND missed those pages mentioned in the Haynes manual. Gonna bookmark the pages right now......if not go yank it out right now to access the situation. Thanx a million.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts