DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Intrepid.

For the second time within a year, I just finished repairing the wires that run inside the trunk up to the trunk release and dual third-brake lights. The problem stems from the fact that each time the trunk is opened and closed, the wire bundle near the left trunk hinge is bent when the trunk is closed, then straighted again upon opening. Two wires were completely broken (trunk release and third brake lights), the other two were frayed to the point of the copper showing. A very poor design, IMO.

Anyone else experience this with their 2nd Gen.?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,694 Posts
Never a problem with mine. Maybe the wires need to be re-routed or re-secured so they dont pull as hard when opening the trunk.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,330 Posts
Might as well just sell it..I'll give you $50 for the whole thing...J/K!! We might need some detailed pictures on how the wiring is routed to see what's causing the problem. I'll look at mine tomorrow. Your's might be non OEM as someone modified it, etc. Can you provide pics of the damaged wiring?

Reactions: r0meo021

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I know I had some problems when I bought the cargo net off of a fellow DI.Net member and I couldn't get the hook around on the metal piece in the floor because there were literally wires running around the piece. Maybe they just wire it however the heck they want it, or just do whatevers quickest for them. I just moved the wires a little with a screwdriver, but your problem is probably more involved than that. Don't know what else to tell ya, sorry.

Josiah

·
Registered
750 Posts
hmm sounds odd LOL mine are tightly bundled and tapes end to end. tyhere is a weird lil black piece the holds it in piece maybe yours doesnt have one its mounted on the body and the wire is stretched around it

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got the same problem. The bundle of wires that goes from the body into the lid has a sleeve over it. When the lid opens, the bundle slides out of the lid about 3/4". When the lid closes, the bundle slides back into the lid. Over time, my trunk light has stopped working. When the lid is unlocked, it opens just a little. When I look in, I see the light on. When the lid is raised, the light goes off. I can squeeze the bundle, and the light will come back on.

This bundle is how it came from the factory. None of the wires have been modified. I just need to figure out how to open the bundle, fix the wires and close the bundle back up. Other than the trunk light not working, everything else is fine.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Here ya go....

My wiring is not completely wrapped anymore due to my old reflector bar mod, but I have no problems with wires breaking. I'm in the middle of another reflector bar mod, so that's why I have my insulation off...

The wire bundle should slide through the plastic loop to keep it from binding when you open and close the trunk. You can see where mine rubs on the underside of the lid...

·
Registered
467 Posts
I guess I jinxed myself. Not to revive a dead thread, but just had this issue on a 2002 Concorde. After resoldering the wires twice (would not arm the security system properly, which is tied into that trunk release), I finally went to the junkyard and pulled one.

The 'new' one works fine. 160K on the car and 320K on the Intrepid so I'm not going to try to re-engineer the part, but just so everyone knows, I did end up having the issue too.

The harness is about a 48" assembly and cost me $5 from the junkyard. it disconnects in the trunk area in a red clip on the driver side just underneath the panel. use a generic door panel popper to remove the trunk lid liner and you'll see the rest. the same door panel popper will easily remove the clips that retain the wire harness in. a 10mm bolt on the ground strap near the latch, and a pair of pliers on the hex shaped retaining nut easily takes that off.

for what it's worth, if you're in the junkyard these body cars seem to be a dime a dozen, pay attention to what harness you are looking for. I got mine from an intrepid. certain body style cars have the license plate lamps back there, some have the electric trunk release some do not. for example, the car I got the harness from had license plate lamps, which the concorde does not have on that harness, but it didn't have the electronic trunk release that this concorde does. for me, it wasn't a big deal, I made the correct harness out of the two that I had. also, it seems the concorde harness is about 6" longer overall...again, not a problem for someone who is comfortable repinning a connector and soldering wires, but someone who wants plug and play should take their harness to the junkyard and make sure the wire colors and locations at the red connector are identical and the acessories on the harness are identical.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The wires should slide in and out of the trunk lid upper carpet. You should have a stiff rod that fits inside it to keep it from just bending (like the center of the coax wire).
I have never had a problem with either my 99 or 03 300M's.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The Concorde still had that white piece of plastic that looks like a hard dixie straw in it, but it's used by my dad. He carries his equipment to work in the trunk and on the weekend his slot car stuff so it's getting opened a minimum 3-4 times per day, I'd suppose that's higher than average (compared to the intrepid which my brother drives, has double the mileage, but is really just people transport, and is rarely opened).

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
I just fixed mine yesturday, couldn't figure out why my trunk light wouldn't go on, glad it's lit again!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts