DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this interesting. I thought I would share. :)

The last paragraph is of particular interest.

NOTE :THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO ALL VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH CHRYSLER AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS EXCEPT 1999 AND EARLIER MINIVANS.

DISCUSSION:

A new transmission fluid (ATF+4(R) - Type 9602) has been developed and is being used as factory fill for all vehicles with Chrysler automatic transmissions. Until now, vehicles originally filled with ATF+2 or ATF+3 were to be serviced with ATF+3. Effective immediately, it is recommended that all vehicles with Chrysler automatic transmissions except for 1999 and earlier minivans be serviced with ATF+4(R). ATF+3 should continue to be used for 1999 and earlier minivans because of the potential for torque converter shudder during break in. For all other applications the ATF+4(R) fluid offers significant benefits as outlined below.

NOTE :ATF+4(R) MUST ALWAYS BE USED IN VEHICLES THAT WERE ORIGINALLY FILLED WITH ATF+4(R).

NOTE :SERVICE INTERVALS DO NOT CHANGE. THE SERVICE INTERVAL CURRENTLY IN EFFECT FOR A GIVEN VEHICLE SHOULD CONTINUE TO BE FOLLOWED.

NOTE :ATF+4(R) IS COMPATIBLE WITH ATF+3 AND CAN BE USED TO TOP OFF VEHICLES THAT CURRENTLY HAVE ATF+2 OR ATF+3. DO NOT USE ATF+2 OR ATF+3 TO TOP OFF VEHICLES THAT HAVE ATF+4(R) FLUID.

BENEFITS

^ Better anti-wear properties

^ Improved rust/corrosion prevention

^ Controls oxidation

^ Eliminates deposits

^ Controls friction

^ Retains anti-foaming properties

^ Superior properties for low temperature operation

FLUID COLOR

Mopar ATF+4(R) is a World Class Fluid having exceptional durability. However, the red dye used in ATF+4°R is not permanent; as the fluid ages it may become darker or appear brown in color. ATF+4(R) also has a unique odor that may change with age. With ATF+4(R) fluid, color and odor are no longer indicators of fluid condition and do not support a fluid change.

·
9,861 Posts
I WONDERED why my fluid was coming out so dark, after just doing a pan drop last year.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Definitly a good thing to know, very good find Warlord.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wish there was a way to retrieve the ATF+3 I just put in my Durango without dropping the pan again!

·
9,861 Posts
Intrepidude said:
Wish there was a way to retrieve the ATF+3 I just put in my Durango without dropping the pan again!
There is. Use a syphon pump. Stick it down the dip stick tube. Mine was $12.

The job is alittle messy. I suggest you do it in the grass, with news paper layed out. Put on cloths your not afriad to toss.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
So what's the verdict?

Use ATF+4 on 99s..... or follow the TSB?

I doubt that most people would have any problems with ATF+4 with a 99 or 98.. right?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jtatz said:
So what's the verdict?

Use ATF+4 on 99s..... or follow the TSB?

I doubt that most people would have any problems with ATF+4 with a 99 or 98.. right?
I think you need to re-read that Mr. :)

All vehicles are to use the ATF +4 unless you have a '99 and earlier MINIVAN.

So to answer your question...both. :)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Warlord187 said:
All vehicles are to use the ATF +4 unless you have a '99 and earlier MINIVAN.
Man! My brother must be wearing off on me... with his dumb questions.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
hypnos said:
There is. Use a syphon pump. Stick it down the dip stick tube. Mine was $12
I tried this once with one of those little pumps that works with your cordless drill, sounded like a great simple idea but as Hypnos says prepare ot wear some fluid and make a big mess no matter how careful you are

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well of course it changes color.. :).. As does pretty much any fluid in a car (short of washer fluid, as it is not used by the car itself) Oil, coolant, and transmission fluid.
That is a cool find though.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Benis said:
Well of course it changes color.. :).. As does pretty much any fluid in a car (short of washer fluid, as it is not used by the car itself) Oil, coolant, and transmission fluid.
That is a cool find though.
The ATF +3 that came in the car when I bought it (three years ago) hasn't changed color. Well, maybe a tad, but barely noticeable.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I agree. My ATF+3 hasn't really changed.

Maybe the ATF+4 changes color more?

·
Registered
38 Posts
i will tell u as i just got it changed..the car shifts smoother..but now i have this damn odor in the oil..which was never there with orignal...and looks a little darker than orignal even after 68K miles lol...i personally made sure they filled in the right at+4 from mopar......huuuuuum!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts