DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to setup my computer to turn itself on at a set time. I know how to make it automatically turn off but havnt been able to find a way to turn it on. My mom is flipping out that the computer is on all the time and I am trying to download big files that take forever so I want to have it automatically turn on when she leaves for work and then set it up to turn off when she comes home. This way while we are at work the computer can run without her ever knowing and my files will get finished alot sooner than expected

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Warlord187 said:
Assuming you can tell the computer to turn on at a specific time, how are you going to tell it to automatically download file(s) too?
That part is simple, either i can remote into my computer and turn it off that way or I can schedule a task and input a string that tells the computer to shutdown and set it to a specific time.

My mobo has something called RTA i think that is suppost to be able to set the date and time that I want to turn it on but ive tried it and it doesnt seem to be working. Guess I'll have to bust out the manual for it, if i can find it lol

·
Registered
711 Posts
well, assuming your not downloading torrents or what not, u can use a program like DAP (download accelerator pro, PM me for the full version) to auto-start with windoZe, and to auto-download on execution.. that would help... other than that, I would do it while she's asleep.. better speeds that way, assuming you have DSL of some sort..

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you guys have guessed it, its torrent, and we all know how long those can take to download so its not a matter of speeding it up or anything. I just need to make the computer turn on while im at work

·
Registered
711 Posts
"and we all know how long those can take to download"
what internet setting do you have it at? i pull 200-400kb/s... don't forget to open the ports on the router or you won't get a green light

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
even with green light , i dont get more then a 40kbs DL with torrenst , the speeds do suck but its the best place to get new stuff b4 it comes out all over....your setting in your bios probably does not work because you need to set the jumper on your mobo. after u set your jumper rigth then you;; be able to use that fuction , u can lookup our mobo online and find the manual in a .pdf just find the site to who made your mobo,

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
well i just did some research on what ports i should open and maximized settings for my internet connection and i must say it is a drastic improvement. i went from 3k or less to 40+k. Thanks for the advise. Really makes a difference with everything set for optimized performance

1 - 12 of 12 Posts