DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just used Turtle Wax ICE yesterday and the stuff is amazing! I did like 3 coats in probably less than the time it takes to do half the car with normal wax. In my opinion it shines a hell of a lot better than standard wax and it doesn't leave any residue at all if you do it right and don't let it bake too long. And even then you can barely notice it. I bought it in a kit with 16 oz of the liquid, and an applicator pad, and a microfiber cloth. Came to about 12 bucks I think, but it was worth it. Makes waxing/polished a hell of a lot less painful. It says to put it all over the car first and then go back but It was really hot out so it hazed quickly. I'd say do half the car or even a quarter of the car at a time in really hot weather. I'll try to get some pics of the car and the product if there is interest for them.

Josiah

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I used to think turtle wax stuff was good and then I tried Meguiar's. I bought their NXT paste wax. Its like $18 a can and I won't use anything else on my car ever again. It showed me why they call it inferno!!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm... Maybe i'll test out a few other products while i'm getting my oil change stuff. I want to try the tech wax or whatever its called, as well. Just thought this was a unique product and it worked well for me. Probably no the best but its a step up from standard waxes.

Josiah

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
The tech wax is what I'm talking about. It is part of the NXT line from Meguiar's. I've heard great things about the ICE from other people too. Turtle Wax's higher end products are pretty good. I bought the tech wax just because it was the most expensive they had at advance auto. Because your car is dark it probably won't matter much but on mine it really brought out the color.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I use Ice too, but Ice is only a Polish. It needs a protectant like a true wax to protect the paint

To get the best results do what I have done:

Wash (with dish liquid to remove wax)
Clay (2 times for the car)
3 coats of Ice
1-2 coats of a good wax
sealant (ex Mequires Glaze number 7)

result:

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I've heard bad things about using dish detergent on your car. It removes important oils from your paint and dulls the finish over time. It might be ok but I wouldn't do it. Nothing but Meguiar's deep crystal for me!!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
I've heard bad things about using dish detergent on your car. It removes important oils from your paint and dulls the finish over time. It might be ok but I wouldn't do it. Nothing but Meguiar's deep crystal for me!!

Ahhhh NOOO... Only use it to strip wax! Never use it all the time! After I have it all protected I use car wash soap, Mequires high sudsings stuff! If you use liquid soap like Dawn every wash it will start to strip the good stuff! Only use it to strip wax!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
SilverSpecial said:
Ahhhh NOOO... Only use it to strip wax! Never use it all the time! After I have it all protected I use car wash soap, Mequires high sudsings stuff! If you use liquid soap like Dawn every wash it will start to strip the good stuff! Only use it to strip wax!
I'm glad you cleared that up. Its amazing to me how many people always use dish soap on their cars every time,without waxing in between. I just wanted to make sure you weren't damaging that beautiful special!!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've actually used mom's dish soap when I just HAD to clean my car and didn't have the extra cash for car cleaning supplies. My brother did warn me that it would eventually damage the paint. I have used Meguiars Deep Crystal ever since. Well anyways, I was actually curious as to whether ICE was a polish or a wax, so its a polish. So now I need to find a good wax to go on after a few passes with this Ice stuff. Just a quick question for the poster who uses the clay: What exactly is the benefit and process of using the clay bar products? So far I've only been using various polishes and waxes, but if i'm convinced i'll try it. Also, I saw a "quick detailer" spray with the same Turtle Wax ICE logo and was wondering if theres any benefit to that.

Anyone else see "Trucks!" on Spike TV today? Is wet-sanding and all that buffing and polishing really beneficial? I have a few small spots with really noticeable scratches and would love a way to get rid of them easily. I really doubt any of them are all the way through the clearcoat, as I can barely feel them but they can be seen easily after the car is washed.

Any other tips would be awesome, I appreciate all the opinions, as always!

Josiah

·
Registered
2 Posts
I watched "trucks" on spike TV and saw the episode with the wet sanding..i was going to ask if that really worked because i have a few chips on my hood..I dont remember if they said anything about doing that with chips in the paint or just on scratches

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool, another PowerBlock fan! Well, He wetsanded on the green explorer because it had a lot of light scratches and oxidation just in the clearcoat i think. I didn't see any chips or dings where he was working. You would probably have to get a little touch-up pen or something and paint it, sand, clearcoat, wetsand and then polish and wax. Someone chime in!

Josiah

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
ICE is only a polish? Well, there goes my curiosity than. :)

I currently use Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax (the liquid stuff) and use Meguiar's Spray Wax in between. I love that combination. I was wondering how the ICE stuff compares, but I didn't know it was only a polish (I never really looked into it :) ).

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
JLWX5 said:
Cool, another PowerBlock fan! Well, He wetsanded on the green explorer because it had a lot of light scratches and oxidation just in the clearcoat i think. I didn't see any chips or dings where he was working. You would probably have to get a little touch-up pen or something and paint it, sand, clearcoat, wetsand and then polish and wax. Someone chime in!

Josiah
That is an old episode, but that is how I remembered it.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Well, if anybody likes to really work on their car, there's a good paste wax made in Utica, NY (where I grew up) called Collonite. I'll have to double check the spelling, but its really good stuff, hard to find though. Josiah, you might be able to find it but others around the country, I'm not sure if you'll find it.

Reactions: kcarlos2000

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sure, I'd love more information on it. I'm looking for a good wax now that I have a good polish. Weren't we supposed to have a meet, froggy? lol If you are serius we should chill this summer.

Josiah

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I was in Cohoes briefly on Saturday. On the way back, I was stuck in backed up traffic about 5 miles from the Little Falls exit (29A) because of a 3 car accident. There I sat in my wife's Saturn, running near empty and had to piss. Sat for 1/2 hour before they got us thru. I did make it to Herkimer and pissed before filling up the car!

Its Collinite and its made in Utica, NY. A lot of people swear by the stuff. They've got a few different products, but the only one I've used was the paste. Here's they're link, I didn't know they had a site until a minute ago when I searched:

http://www.collinite.com/

On the automotive wax products page, I've got a can of the #476s Super double coat. Not bad stuff, just like a paste, can be difficult to buff if you leave it on too long. Lately I've used Meguire's Deep Crystal (I think), comes in the almost triangular box. Actually I used turtle wax polishing compound to buff out my hood earlier and thru a coat of Meguire's over it for now. I may try one of the liquid Collinite products. I'd like to find something that can get rid of the "spider webs" in my paint.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Theres some crazy traffic in the upstate. On the way to albany, there was about a 20 mile stretch where everyone was going about 20 mph in a 65 on the northway.

After I get my steering issue fixed (see other thread), and do my oil change I'll spend a good half hour looking through advance auto parts to find some good wax and some leather conditioner, I ran out of my meguiars wipes when I got bored and cleaned my seats on my lunch break at work lol. Theres gotta be someone else like that on here haha.

Josiah

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
When I washed my car for the last time before winter last year I went over the whole thing with a clay bar, then used mequiar's 3 step paint cleaner with a power buffer, then the matching polish also with a power buffer, and then put a coat of NXT Tech Wax paste. I'm not really sure if the clay bar did a whole lot, but it definitely picked up some crap. After doing the whole thing,which took about 6hrs, the car looked amazing. The wax did a pretty good job of protecting the newly cleaned/polished paint over the winter so when spring came this year, I washed the car really well and put another coat of wax on and it looked great. When I get time and it finally stops raining every couple of days, I'm going to do the whole process over again.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now THAT seems like a good process for me! I might omit the clay bar and just do my deep crystal car wash, dry, ice polish, then wax. I'm looking into ordering some of that Collonite that froggy was talking about. Supposedly the double coat product lasts a year and is completely detergent-proof. Figure if I polished the car a few times and then put a coat or 2 of that wax on that should keep it a little cleaner than my current process. Only thing is you have to order it by phone and the wax i want is $16 lol.

Josiah

1 - 20 of 46 Posts