DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am coming home from Afghanistan in a few weeks, and the question has come up as to wether or not to get Cable TV at the new place. Before I deployed, the only channels the wife and I really watched was the Food Network, The Filipino Channel, Sci-Fi, the History Channel, Discovery Channel, and the various cartoon networks and Nickelodion when the kids were visiting. Cable TV costs a bit much for all of 8 channels plus local news. My TV has HDMI input and (I think) an input for a monitor cable. Is there a way that I can set up my desktop to stream those channels to the tv and utilize the home theater system that I have? If so, is there a way to use the remote to change channels?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I never explored TV over the internet much but I believe it is usually bandwidth hungry. I am not even sure if there is a service that offers something like this yet to get just those channels. If you get a TV tuner card it is very possible if you want to use it with the cable service. Can also use the computer as a DVR with the right software. As far as changing channels it is very possible to do so. You can pick up a remote and IR reviver off of newegg for about $30-40. You might have to get up and turn on the computer though. I been looking at getting one of the remotes myself lately. I have a PC I just hooked up to the TV and I love using it.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Also I forgot to mention...check to see what you have on the back for connections for sound. Might have a left and right input for sound. Also I never tried it but I bet if you get a HDMI card you can connect it to the TV and then sound should be able to go over it along with video.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts