DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
The all-in-wonders are pretty good cards if you don't already have a good video card. I have a stand alone tuner card and a seperate video card with TV outputs in the media center PC I built. They work pretty well, jsut make sure you meet the minimum requirements. Also, make sure to buy cards that do the encoding/decoding with the card hardware. If not, they'll drain a ton of processing power from your CPU.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I'll concur. The ATI cards work very well. If you happen to get an HD capable card, remember, the inexpensive ones only receive OTA signals, and you'll need an outside antenna or a really good set of rabbit ears. The analog portion accepts cable feed, for direct cable, cable box or satellite connection. The analog cards will not decode digital TV, but the HD cards can. The Pinnacle tuners are ok, the Hauppauge (Hop Hog) cards are good as well as the ATI cards. Most of the analog cards are using the same philips tuner, but the software varies. If you have media center XP, it doesn't matter anyway.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
00RT said:
The all-in-wonders are pretty good cards if you don't already have a good video card. I have a stand alone tuner card and a seperate video card with TV outputs in the media center PC I built. They work pretty well, jsut make sure you meet the minimum requirements. Also, make sure to buy cards that do the encoding/decoding with the card hardware. If not, they'll drain a ton of processing power from your CPU.
So these cards replace the video card?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
DodgeyAussie said:
So these cards replace the video card?
Not the ones you linked to. ATI makes the all-in-wonders that are a video card with a TV tuner. You shouldn't really need one of those, unless you wanted to upgrade your video card.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
I bought this card here like 4 years ago when I was in the same situation where I didn't want to buy a TV for the computer room. It's worked well for me. I just re-installed it onto one of my computers and use it to record programming that I want to transfer onto my Creative Zen Vision W.

http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=CRD10793

I purchased this from this store I linked to as well.

·
Registered
550 Posts
My recommendation is to make sure that it comes with a good program. I have a card that came with a crappy program so I downloaded SNAPSTREAM's program and it was much better but the trial only lasted a month and cracks really don't work well because you have to let them know what area you live in and mine kept changing for some reason and the program is a little pricey if you buy it separately.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
MKB said:
My recommendation is to make sure that it comes with a good program.
Oh yeah that reminds me Lee, if you do get the one I linked to, it does come with a workable program, but I do have another program along with the crack that works great if you want it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts