DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...I am new too this..and drive a 1994 3.5 l dodge intrepid, with 178000 miles on it....i have replaced one muffler...the "outer " one....can anyone tell me about the "inner" muffler..and how much it should really be to change..?...and what it is called?...thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey the "outer" muffler is actually the resonater, and the inner one is the true muffler, but I am not very car savy and thats all i know. If you can do all the work yourself it shouldnt cost more than 40, but then again it just depends on how nice of a muffler you want. There will be alot smarter people replying on this soon im assuming.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
as skatin jsut stated, the outer thing at the end of the tail pipe is in fact the resonator, only the 3.5L's had them in the first generation, the giant suitcase sized thing below the back seat under the car is your actual muffler........ I'm having trouble following what you are trying to ask exactly...... I assume that you cut the resonator off and put some sort of muffler in it's place......... if that is so, what a lot of members have done as a cheap "exhaust system" is to cut out the muffler and used some muffler piping (you can find the exhaust piping at autozone for a few bucks for 2 foot lengths) and connected the pipes

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys

thanks guys..i appreciate it...just a singer/songwriter, so I am not made of money...and...female..and I kind of like to know, a little bit about it, going in...sometimes..they try to tell you, that you need some things you actually don't. ....it's been a great car....second hand...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
well, you would be able to tell if you needed to replace your muffler considering your car would sound much louder than it should.......... just re-read your orginal post, so, you replaced the resonator and you want to know if you need to replace the muffler, right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.