DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a similar problem that many others have had with the first generation 3.5L. I have an occassional instance at stop lights where the car's idle drops off a little and threatens to stall out. I have no other drivability problems, and more importantly, NO TROUBLE CODES!!!

What the hell is this?? Is it the infamous EGR trouble?

I haven't looked over the engine just yet because it is dark out. I plan to tomorrow to see what I can find, if anything.

· Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, mine is idling at a hair above the 500 mark on the tach in gear. I thought it was low too, but I guess its normal?

· Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mileage: 107,640

I replaced the spark plugs last year (25,000 miles ago), dropped in a K&N filter and replaced the fuel filter at the same time.

I didn't do the plug wires though. I don't think there is a problem with those because my car runs good in the rain and doesn't misfire at all.

This is probably an ignition or fuel system problem. It could be a sensor or computer problem, but again I am not getting any trouble codes! :(

· Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just thought of something. It might be the battery. Since at rest and in gear, the car turns at 500 RPM and spins the alternater much slower than at regular speeds. This might be a cause of the problem. I think the battery is OEM, i.e. 5 years old. Although, the car isn't tough to start in the morning. I usually drive with my lights on too.

· Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Wutang15m:
Try an optima deep cycle battery.

The reason these batterys are good, is their abelities to reacharge ten times faster than a regular battery. thus giving you more volatage when you need it
That is the battery I want!!! I have been looking at it for a while. But, $100, that's a lot of scratch.

· Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, my K&N filter is a little on the dirty side, but there are no major restrictions in the box so that can't be it.

Still looking!

· Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I could easily check for that but I don't think it is my problem. I am the second owner of the car and I have no clue if the recall problems were addressed. There are no tags under the hood indicating any service was done.

It has been 3 days and 300 miles since it last happened. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's like waiting for your next heart attack. :(

· Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Originally posted by Mopar4U:

Have you had to replace the intake manifold gasket yet? Most 3.5's have had to do this before 100,000 miles
My cars have never been like most. I usually have way better luck! :)

· Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
FredB said:
Try cleaning your throttle bodies. This will probably cure the problem.

FredB
A number of people outside of the forum had suggested that. It sounds like a good place to start. I will pull them off and clean them soon. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.