DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.....One of my friend's neighbours is selling a turbo charger for 300 bucks, and asked if I was interested. I told him that a turbo would not fit my car, but he said that there are adapter kits that will make it run on almost any car. Is he full of ****, or is this possible? If you really think about it, you COULD make an adapter pipe from the compressor output to your intake, but the exhaust would be harder. Then again, I GUESS you could rig up some sort of system where the single pipe goes back and runs through the turbocharger's turbine....tough, but maybe.....BUT, would this work???

The guy also says it is made for a V8 engine...I dont know of any V8's with a turbo.....please let me know what you think guys.....I thought, for 300 bucks, maybe I could rig up something for a little more power, but who knows....
Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well basicly he is full of ****.
There is now such thing as a universal turbo they come in thousands of variations, I have seen them small enough to hold in the palm of your hand and as big as a Vw bug.
AS far as putting one on one of our cars it would be great but you need to route the exhaust to the turbo and then away again and there just isn't enough room at the back of the engine, the only way possible would be to mount two turbos one on each side but still major modification would be required and custom built ex. manifolds would be needed.
Then if all this was done we would still need to reprogram the computer to utilize this new found air supply.
If any one is up to this task I can contact Garrett(Allied Signal) a major turbo maker, they can tell us what turbo would be best for 3.5L in a singal or dual set-up, and weather or not we should run a wastgated turbo or not
wastegates let the turbo spool up faster (less
lag) and then can let boost off at high rpm.

Any takers let me know, the average turbo new
costs $500-700 for what we would need.

·
Registered
167 Posts
There is a lot more to a turbocharger system than the turbo itself. Buying just a turbo from this guy would like like buying an engine and thinking you are getting a whole car. The hardest part is doing all the piping, and then getting the computer programming right. Its a heck of a lot of work, and chances are, the turbo isn't even sized right for the engine. By the way...there are many turbo V8's out there. Not a whole lot of them are OEM, because you can usually make enough power with a V8, so a manufacturer wouldn't turbocharge one. One that I do recal is the Callaway twin turbo corvette. Those were available as a factory option in the late 80's. It was a twin turbo 350 CI chevy small block. Today you can get a twin turbo vette from Lingenfelter pushing out around 650 HP.

Scott

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But wouldnt the air sensor in the intake manifold be able to detect the increased amount of air as long as you kept it under 6 or 8 psi? Or would that still cause engine detonation?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
get a prowler computer, they make superchargers for those guys. you might be able to trick it into working right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts