DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Update on my crash...

566 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  tooforty 
#1 ·
Good news! The intrepid will not be totaled. It would have been a damn shame if it had to be, because she only had 28 K miles on the clock, and has been running on synthetic since the day I got her with 18K. For anyone who does not know what I'm talking about, scroll down a bit and look at my last post, complete with pictures etc.

It turns out that it was hit in a crumble zone, and even though it looks horrible, it is mostly cosmetic. The estimate to fix it was a drop below 6 thousand. By the looks of the picture, you would think it would be a lot more too. I am impressed by the way that the car absorbed the shock, because I was practically unharmed-and I got hit pretty hard too. Kudos to Dodge for making a crash worthy car. I am not thrilled to have a car that has been in a crash, but I am confident that as long as the engine was not harmed-I will be fine. I am considering going after the liable party's insurance for "diminished value" to the car, though I don't know if that will get me anywhere.

The estimated time to fix the car is 4 weeks. In the meantime, I have a 2004 Intrepid as a rental. Overall, I am glad that I get to keep my car. The only problem I've ever had with it is that the tranny feels junky. It tends to slam in to gear from time to time, but it is predictable, and can be completely avoided by putting it into 3rd breifly at the opportune moment. I have a few bottles of anti-foam that I've been meaning to put in, so maybe that will help (though it doesn't really matter, because like I said I've discovered an easy way to make it so it never occurs).

One final question. I was considering buying an extendeed warranty from Chrysler..Will this accident have any effect on my ability to do this?? Thanks

Ron

See less See more
#2 ·
thats always good...if any good can come out of the crash...good thing its just body damage...definitely go for diminished value, and the rental, is it an SE? if so, have fun with it....but the accident shouldn't have anything to do with extended warranty...at least thats how it was on my friend's car

#3 ·
Very good, glad for you that it wasn't totaled.. interesting about the trani... yeah if you can, ENJOY that rental!!

#4 ·
So when you get it back say that you now are having tranny problems possibly related to the crash.

#5 ·
read the extended warranty carefully as some have stipulations such as if the motor goes because of overheating they may not cover you . so if the previous owner had overheated it and you did'nt know and tried to make a claim on the motor ,they may see signs of a overheat, which you were not aware of .therefore they have an out.
the one i looked at getting was going to cost 1500 bucks ,but when you read it , it only covers you for up to 1500 buck. whats the sence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.