DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put XP on my computer and for some reason I can't figure out how to set it up. It shows up on my LAN settings, but I don't know what to do from there.

brody

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
go to your control panel, network connection... now do you hook up this computer directly to your dsl modem, or through a router first?

In any case Windows XP should recognize your nic.. if you're hooking it up through usb it should notice that too.

go to the control panel, click on "switch to classic view" in the top left.
Then.. if you dont see what you're looking for in there.. . create new connection etc shoudl help you out.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EvilDeadFan said:
go to your control panel, network connection... now do you hook up this computer directly to your dsl modem, or through a router first?

In any case Windows XP should recognize your nic.. if you're hooking it up through usb it should notice that too.

go to the control panel, click on "switch to classic view" in the top left.
Then.. if you dont see what you're looking for in there.. . create new connection etc shoudl help you out.
I am hooked up to the modem directly then to the router. I have tryed making a new connection using the instructions on the XP ,but for some reason it wants to dial out and never gets anywhere.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You have to have the router set up, what brand of router is it?

should go modem-router-pc

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Right. If you're using a usb cable to this modem, ditch it. Screw drivers. Use a regular network cable to go from modem to router, THEN to pc. That way your ip addresses and all other network info are routed properly without headaches. That's what the router's job is. I've been using a setup exactly like that for years, and any router can be taught how to keep a dsl connection alive by dialing up into it. PPPOE, tcp/ip etc.

What sort of router make/model is it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts