DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just hit 80k and my 04 2.7L water pump finally gave up the ghost. I'm wanting to upgrade to the newer style timing set and water pump, but looking through all the threads I could find, it seems that the part numbers listed are old. Is the kit no longer available? Do I maybe have to order all the parts individually? If so does anyone know the proper numbers? Would it just be the timing set off any 2.7L Charger?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, I do know the updated design for the 2.7 water pump is on the Charger and it's totally plug and play from what Ive read. I'm not sure if they make kits for them so I personally would just look for the separate components. Also I'd like to add that your 2.7 being in an 04 model year means that it's got the updated timing chain guides. These later model years with the 2.7 (2003 and 2004) I've learned Chrysler ironed out many of the fatal flaws from the earlier generations. Back on topic, If they make a timing chain and water pump kit for the charger 2.7, I'd get it and compare it to the existing parts. Like I stated before, I know the water pumps are interchangeable but I'm unsure about the timing chain. I'd assume that would be the same as well but compare the parts just to make sure.

·
Premium Member
19,039 Posts
Pretty sure the set for the Charger would do the trick for your '04.

Here are my thoughts, suggestions, etc. You may know most or all of this already:

• I think the water pump has to be purchased separately (most or all kits I've seen do not include the pump).
• Because the chain pitch is different, you must get all new sprockets (both cam sprockets, crankshaft sprocket, and of course water pump that comes with the correct sprocket) - not all kits come with all sprockets because mfr. of the kit may assume the target vehicle is post LH platform and that existing cam and crank sprockets will be used. I think sprockets can be purchased separately if not included in kit.
• Don't know if you intend to go OEM or aftermarket kit/parts. Two parts that I would only get from Chrysler are the chain tensioner and the water pump - have read too many horror stories on aftermarket for those two parts. For one thing, on the water pump, I'm not sure if you can verify before buying an aftermarket pump that you'll get the much improved design pump and water pump gasket. Aftermarket quality on those parts were notoriously bad a few years ago, and as applications age, things generally go downhill, not improve, on available aftermarket quality.
• Even if you can convince yourself that a particular brand of aftermarket chain and sprocket set are acceptable quality, even if the kit comes with chain tensioner, I'd get the tensioner separately from the dealer. (Some kits may not come with the tensioner, which could save you some money if the kit is otherwise good quality, since you'll be getting the tensioner separately from the dealer.)
• Probably all kits come with tensioner arm and guides.
• Consider getting the aftermarket 2.7 tensioner stop block kit (ebay) - it mechanically limits movement of the tensioner arm so that if, for whatever reason, the tensioner fails/collapses, the chain won't get loose enough to slip timing a few teeth and crunch your valves - good insurance for about $30. (There are two versions of the kit: SB02 if replacing chain with new, SB01 if re-using old chain - so you'd need SB02.)

·
Premium Member
19,039 Posts
JordanS - I didn't see your post until I had already posted. What's that about updated guides? I wasn't aware of that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys I was not aware of the tensioner stop. Sounds well worth it. I plan to buy only OEM. I'm old enough and worked on enough vehicles to know that is literally the only way to go when it comes to hard parts like this. That said I believe the tensioner was updated on the 03/04, not the guides. Maybe that's what you guys are thinking of.

Does anyone know what car I have to buy the timing set for? Is it the 08-10 charger? That's the best I can see. I found this kit 68036787AB but it's discontinued. Seems like it was for the 08-10 chargers and I wasn't sure if there was a difference at all to earlier year chargers. I have to order individual parts to make this kit since they don't sell it anymore, so want to be sure I'm ordering the right stuff. I'm assuming tensioner, guides, sprockets and chains from the 2009 charger will work? I'm really hoping to get some confirmation on this. My daily has been down for almost a week now and I'm in some big trouble here if I don't get these parts this week.

I believe the part number breakdown of this kit is this (found on eBay so take it with a grain of salt):

CONSIST OF: 04892349AA - CHAIN, 06100306 BOLTx2/mounting timing chain guide toto cylinder head/block/, 04892351AA - GUIDE RIGHT SHORT, 04892352AA - GUIDE LEFT SHORT, 04892353AB - GUIDE LONG, 04892350AA - ARM TENSIONER, 04792208 - BUSHING, 04892342AA - SPROCKET CRANKSHAFT, 04892340AA - SPROCKET INTAKE LEFT CAMSHAFT, 04892341AA - SPROCKET INTAKE RIGHT CAMSHAFT. THE KIT IS NOT INCLUDED CHAIN TENSIONER

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just recently rebuilt my entire engine, they sell timing chain kits with the upgraded timing chain and sprockets and all the ti.ing components, but you do have to buy the water pump separately
I've seen this multiple times but no one ever says what to actually buy haha. Is it a 2009 charger complete timing set?

·
Registered
59 Posts
2.7 tensioner was changed for 2000 model year - not interchangeable with '98 & '99.
The 2000 one is not the screw in type, bit
Factory Mopar? I'm only using factory. Too many problems with aftermarket parts.
It is aftermarket I think it's called the Big three is the one I got . I had it installed now for over 10,000 miles and know problems. But I rebuilt my entire engine. New timing chain, cam sprockets, timing components, new head gaskets, new valves, new water pump, new oil pump. New oil pan gasket, new valve cover gaskets. I replaced everything since I had the engine cracked open already.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 2000 one is not the screw in type, bit

It is aftermarket I think it's called the Big three is the one I got . I had it installed now for over 10,000 miles and know problems. But I rebuilt my entire engine. New timing chain, cam sprockets, timing components, new head gaskets, new valves, new water pump, new oil pump. New oil pan gasket, new valve cover gaskets. I replaced everything since I had the engine cracked open already.
Ah ok. Yeah I'm looking for all the proper Mopar numbers to order.

·
Premium Member
19,039 Posts
Something I meant to say in earlier posts in this thread: You should be OK skipping replacing the secondary chains snd tensioners. I don't recall ever reading of them failing. (For factory parts proven to be super reliable, it's generally less risk staying with the original well-used part than risk getting a defective brand new replacement part, even if OEM.)

·
Premium Member
19,039 Posts
I've never had a problem with aftermarket parts but some people do prefer factory, I just don't care for factory prices. But im a master mechanic so I do my own work .
Aftermarket low oil pressure switches and 2.7 chain tensioners and water pumps have particularly bad history on this forum. And, there are some parts for these cars that are recommended to get aftermarket instead of OEM (the large hex-type toe adjuster sleeves and PCV valves).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Aftermarket low oil pressure switches and 2.7 chain tensioners and water pumps have particularly bad history on this forum. And, there are some parts for these cars that are recommended to get aftermarket instead of OEM (the large hex-type toe adjuster sleeves and PCV valves).
My water pump is the upgraded Mopar one with the new upgraded gasket I had to buy that separately but my timing chain set is from the big three DodgeChryslerFord. I know most people prefer factory parts but I don't trust them if the factory part went out most likely its a problem with that particular part from the factory. Had my car 6 years now and haven't had any problems, I put in a oil catch can and only use full synthetic oil to help avoid sludge. These cars are known to be bad right off the line but we all know Chrysler won't admit that. But everyone is different some like factory some like aftermarket.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts