DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

· Premium Member
19,042 Posts
If anyone knows where I can get the below it would be greatly appreciated. I cannot find this on any parts stores and don't see anything in any searching online.

Timing cover plug O-rings
Tensioner cover O-ring
Tensioner O-ring
I definitely understand wanting to identify and get known correct parts, but not sure that info. is available. Hopefully someone with information will post. Again, short of that, and assuming they are standard catalog sizes, see if you can match them to ones in stores that have good selection by individual sizes to choose from. Ace hardware stores and some of the auto parts chains have drawers by individual size that might include the sizes needed. I also know that those drawers can't have every possible permutation of cross-section diameter and OD/ID - which can be frustrating. For the timing cover plug seals, if the rubber is not cracked or rotting, you might have to be satisfied with cleaning them off and coating them with RTV. It's not like they have pressurized oil trying to squeeze by.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I definitely understand wanting to identify and get known correct parts, but not sure that info. is available. Hopefully someone with information will post. Again, short of that, and assuming they are standard catalog sizes, see if you can match them to ones in stores that have good selection by individual sizes to choose from. Ace hardware stores and some of the auto parts chains have drawers by individual size that might include the sizes needed. I also know that those drawers can't have every possible permutation of cross-section diameter and OD/ID - which can be frustrating. For the timing cover plug seals, if the rubber is not cracked or rotting, you might have to be satisfied with cleaning them off and coating them with RTV. It's not like they have pressurized oil trying to squeeze by.
Yeah that was pretty much my plan. I was just hoping to not have to go find parts while the cars in pieces. Was hoping to have everything and just get the job done.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I'm also not sure if the o-ring has to be viton or standard rubber to seal properly and withstand the conditions it will be placed under on the tensioner. I would assume viton would be the better choice but I truly do not know. I wish I could find the dimensions of the tensioner so I could figure out its size. As well as the plugs.

· Premium Member
19,042 Posts
I'm also not sure if the o-ring has to be viton or standard rubber to seal properly and withstand the conditions it will be placed under on the tensioner. I would assume viton would be the better choice but I truly do not know. I wish I could find the dimensions of the tensioner so I could figure out its size. As well as the plugs.
Do you have digital calipers with which to make your own measurement's? They're fairly inexpensive (Lowes, Harbor Freight, etc.). Stay away from cheap plastic ones, and they should be adequate.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Do you have digital calipers with which to make your own measurement's? They're fairly inexpensive (Lowes, Harbor Freight, etc.). Stay away from cheap plastic ones, and they should be adequate.
I do yes, but unfortunately the part I have to measure is inside my engine. Lol. I was hoping to have everything before I dismantle it all. I just ordered a viton o ring kit. Hopefully it has the one I need in it. I'd hate to reuse an almost 20 year old o ring.

· Premium Member
19,042 Posts
I do yes, but unfortunately the part I have to measure is inside my engine. Lol. I was hoping to have everything before I dismantle it all. I just ordered a viton o ring kit. Hopefully it has the one I need in it. I'd hate to reuse an almost 20 year old o ring.
Tensioner can be removed without disassembling. The a.c. compressor might be a little in the way, but I think you might be able to get it out w/o totally removing it - might have to be clever with using your tools. I don't have my 2.7 anymore to look at, but I know I removed my tensioner w/o removing anything using a medium- or large-size crescent wrench positioned just right. That was the earlier design with the one large hex to simply screw it out. Yours being the later design tensioner, it is attached with two small tensioner cover bolts to either side - may or may not be as easy to remove without doing something like at least loosening the compressor bolts or similar minor effort.

Reactions: 04SE

· Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info guys I was not aware of the tensioner stop. Sounds well worth it. I plan to buy only OEM. I'm old enough and worked on enough vehicles to know that is literally the only way to go when it comes to hard parts like this. That said I believe the tensioner was updated on the 03/04, not the guides. Maybe that's what you guys are thinking of.

Does anyone know what car I have to buy the timing set for? Is it the 08-10 charger? That's the best I can see. I found this kit 68036787AB but it's discontinued. Seems like it was for the 08-10 chargers and I wasn't sure if there was a difference at all to earlier year chargers. I have to order individual parts to make this kit since they don't sell it anymore, so want to be sure I'm ordering the right stuff. I'm assuming tensioner, guides, sprockets and chains from the 2009 charger will work? I'm really hoping to get some confirmation on this. My daily has been down for almost a week now and I'm in some big trouble here if I don't get these parts this week.

I believe the part number breakdown of this kit is this (found on eBay so take it with a grain of salt):

CONSIST OF: 04892349AA - CHAIN, 06100306 BOLTx2/mounting timing chain guide toto cylinder head/block/, 04892351AA - GUIDE RIGHT SHORT, 04892352AA - GUIDE LEFT SHORT, 04892353AB - GUIDE LONG, 04892350AA - ARM TENSIONER, 04792208 - BUSHING, 04892342AA - SPROCKET CRANKSHAFT, 04892340AA - SPROCKET INTAKE LEFT CAMSHAFT, 04892341AA - SPROCKET INTAKE RIGHT CAMSHAFT. THE KIT IS NOT INCLUDED CHAIN TENSIONER
I'm not sure if this will help, but try to look here the car parts maybe they have it. Mopar Jeep, Dodge, Ram & Chrysler Parts | Mopar Online Parts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Well everything is discontinued o ring wise but dodge did say I could order a new tensioner o ring. So I did. Says it's a week out. Hopefully it's the right one. The tensoner plate o ring is disc but he said I could order the whole plate for the low price of $95 plus tax to get the o ring. I told him rtv will do.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Hi all just wanted to give back to the community a bit here with all the insanity I went through doing this job and research. But believe it or not Dodge does still make the replacement o ring for the primary chain tensioner and it's actually sold seperate also. So instead of paying over $200 for a new tensioner when you know yours is good, just do an o ring for good measure. Cost about 8 bucks and was silver in color. Definitely some special kind of o ring, glad I bought it vs finding some random one. Part # 6802-4643-AA.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts