DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I have a '93 Eagle Vision, and when I start the car I get a loud ticking sound from the top of my engine, when you drive it, it progresses with speed (the sound) and eventually makes a squeeling noise. My cars been like this for about a month now (no I havent been driving it) I had a mechanic drive it and say the engine is shot. Any suggestions to what it may be?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, tryed seafoam, its a month later and the samething, everyone said sticky lifter thil they heard the squealing as I was driving.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Squeel can only be belt or pulley bearing related. Ticking is lifter related. There were some TSB's related to the lifter issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, with the lifter is theyre any suggestions on what the problem would be? I just wnet out to start today for the first time in amonth and its the samething. Ticking constantly and very loudly just never dieing. I'm not sure about the squeeling but I'm positive its still there. So witht he lifter what would be the problem, I need to get this car fixed seeing as its my only car =/.

·
Registered
639 Posts
TSB was issued for this problem #09-01-96 on the 3.5L (describing a hydraulic lash adjuster noise problem). Replace the rocker arms. If wear is present on certain part of any of the rocker arms, replace the camshaft (need to remove the heads to do this). Check out a good article on the 3.5L that also comments on the problem:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/us110422.htm. Scroll down to a couple of paragraphs above the photo of the head with the rocker arms with the red circle. The TSB has much more details. I had my rocker arms (with integrated lifters) replaced when the car had 15k miles due to excessive lifter noise like one of them had collapsed.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes, what Big3 pointed out:

Engine tick. A slew of 1998-2004 3.2L and 3.5L Chryslers (build date prior to 3/31/03) may produce a ticking sound from underneath one or both valve covers. Chrysler says the noise usually occurs on cold startup, lasts for only a few seconds and is most likely due to excess slop between the cam and exhaust rocker arms. Replacing the swivel pads and swivel pad retainers on all the exhaust rockers with updated parts from a kit (Part No. 05135237aa) should eliminate the racket.

Vehicles that are prone to the noise and can benefit from the upgraded valvetrain parts are 1998-2004 LH-cars (30OM, Concorde, Intrepid, LHS), 1999-2002 Prowlers and 2004 Pacificas.

·
Registered
639 Posts
That TSB was issued for 1995 LH 3.5L engines that also had the ticking problem, not just the years mentioned in the above post.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Big3 said:
That TSB was issued for 1995 LH 3.5L engines that also had the ticking problem, not just the years mentioned in the above post.
There is a TSB for 98 to 2004 3.2 and 3.5 engines ticking when cold.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My uncle was just over to hear it and he said it was deffinatley a rocker arm. So I'm gonna get a set from a junk yard and replace them. Hopefully I'll be able to drive my baby again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It could be a broken crank bearing. Mine was squeeling and tapping for about 2 weeks then it completely quit as metal parts went sqwaking around.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ticking and squeling???

First of all, those guys are right. squeeling can only be a belt or pulley problem. Hell, a wet belt will squeak. The ticking has to do with lifters. It may be sticking, or may need to be adjusted(if they're mechanical, not hydraulic-not sure). Usually not a HUGE deal, but I seriously doubt the engine is shot. How many miles did you say were on the engine?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts