DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some information on an ECM for a 2001 Intrepid. We did an engine swap about 2 years ago from a 2.7 to a 3.2. We used the ECM from the 2.7 and it worked fine. In November we replaced the lower intake gasket that was leaking. Shortly thereafter we developed a multiple cylinder misfire at 3 and 5 and were unable to locate the cause. We changed the spark plugs, fuel injectors, the coils, everything. We have replaced the PCV valve twice in the last 6 months-it keeps failing. Now we have discovered that we are getting no electrical signal from the ECM to the manifold tuning valve or the short runner valve and we are only getting about 1/3 of the voltage we are supposed to have in our 02 sensors. We have been told by a very reliable mechanic (my dad) that he thinks the ECM is going and needs to be replaced.

My question is this: can we replace the old 2.7 with another used 2.7 ECM or should be go with a 3.2? If we go with the 2.7 ECM will we need to have the VIN number for the engine programmed or can we simply swap them out? We are probably going to get a used ECM, since we are planning on getting rid of the car within the next year and we only want something to make it run until then.

Any advice we could get would be much appreciated! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
ecm

For optimal performance of the 3.2, get the 3.2L PCM. Tey cost about the same, so get the one designed for your engine. The manifold tuning valve and short runner valve curves may be different due to the half liter of displacement difference, who knows. I think you will notice some slight improvents in the way the car runs if you get thte correct PCM.

If your car is NOT equipped with a sentry key, vin programming might not be necessary. If the pcm you are getting came out of a sentry key equipped car and you don't have sentry key, it will not work.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,687 Posts
I recommend ecudirect.com. Send your 2.7 ecu to them and they can repair it and program it to 3.2 specs. You wil have no problems running it as it was the original to the car. Just explain that you did a 3.2 swap from a 2.7.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts