DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again folks,
I took apart my 2001 2.7 engine due to a rod bearing failure. In the process I damaged the #5 cylinder wall such that it would require a new cylinder sleeve to repair. However, due to where I live and the lack of machine shops within a 2 hour drive willing to do it I finally threw up my hands and bought a used 2.7. It's mostly complete but like any used engine I don't know much about it. It appears to have been removed from a 2000 Intrepid in Michigan and stored indoors since the hose ends look like they were cut a long time ago. From reading this site I'm 99% sure there shouldn't be a PCM issue if it's a 2000 engine going where a 2001 was.
I'm going to give it a static compression check this afternoon. It's on a stand now so I can level the cylinders to get some oil in so it will spread around the cylinder walls . I'm going to remove the valve covers and oil pan for a good look-see. I'm also taking the timing cover off to see if it has the updated water pump and timing stuff.
Seems like it's a good engine and I have the original one to rob from if necessary. But does anyone have any tips for checking it out further before I drop it in?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,976 Posts
Replace the water pump regardless of how it looks! Get a Mopar pump with the heavier design and bearings seals, dont get anything else. Replace the PCV valve and hoses too while your at it.

2000-2001 should be fine; unless its a late 2001; if the flywheels and harnesses on the old and new engine match, you're good.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You as always Daytripper. A water pump change is, of course, mandatory. However after removing the pass. side valve cover I saw that the cam gear was a different configuration. Ref; pic. It has a soft, phenolic feeling ring held on with two large area washers. I'm not going to mess with it and the engine does not appear to have been molested in any way but I'm curious if anyone knows what it is and why it's there.
BTW the flywheel and cam gear timing "wheel" are identical. who-ray I'm sorry if the pic comes out huge and shouting I'm trying to make it a thumbnail.
Thanks ahead of time
IMG_1203.JPG
aerofxr

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,976 Posts
Thank You as always Daytripper. A water pump change is, of course, mandatory. However after removing the pass. side valve cover I saw that the cam gear was a different configuration. Ref; pic. It has a soft, phenolic feeling ring held on with two large area washers. I'm not going to mess with it and the engine does not appear to have been molested in any way but I'm curious if anyone knows what it is and why it's there.
BTW the flywheel and cam gear timing "wheel" are identical. who-ray I'm sorry if the pic comes out huge and shouting I'm trying to make it a thumbnail.
Thanks ahead of time
Thats a vibration dampener.

They added them somewhere around 2001 after the first oil pump/pickup update. IIRC it was done to reduce vibration from the valve train that would transfer to the chain thru the sprocket and wear things out quicker----pre 2001 were the super nightmarish 2.7 years----that damper was part of the "update". Pretty much if you had a 98-00 2.7 and you didnt know what you were doing with it, you might get lucky to get 60K miles on it. Maybe 80K if you did your oil changes.

Throw a water pump on there, good to go, drop it in. Run Mobil 1 synthetic and take care of the PCV system and that thing will run forever.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the input. I found out what it was after searching a bit more. And Rusty, I agree, the large area washers look like something I'd come up with if I didn't have much time or hardware to work with.
However, does anyone know the size of the oil pressure sending unit threads in the block. I'm reading different stuff as I look for the right size adapter so I can run an oil pressure gauge along with the factory sensor.
Thanks Ahead of Time as Always
Aerofxr

·
Premium Member
17,324 Posts
I'm thinking a standard American tapered NPT thread, but could be wrong. The more I think about it, the more sure I am that that is the case. Take the pressure switch to Lowes and play with some female pipe fittings to verify. I know that the oil cooler return line fitting on the oil pans of our cars that have the oil cooler loops are a standard tapered NTP, so such things do exist on our cars. (I don't think the 2.7s and later-year 3.2/3.5s came with oil cooler loops, but that's beside the point.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts