DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 Concorde is having all kinds of failures that ultimately puts me in limp mode. I've been contemplating what to do with the damn car for literally, several years. I finally bite the bullet and pay for a new valve body and Solenoid pack and the valve body is MIA ..... nobody makes it anymore according to my tech. Anyone out there have used valve body in good condition or know where I might find one?

·
Woober Goobers!
51,841 Posts
Reactions: fmpro

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Woober Goobers!
51,841 Posts
n/p. I couldn't believe how hard it was to track one down under the original part number or the "R" part numbers. All of the online dealers say they're all discontinued. Bad news for the LH line!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
n/p. I couldn't believe how hard it was to track one down under the original part number or the "R" part numbers. All of the online dealers say they're all discontinued. Bad news for the LH line!
Yes, that's what my service guy told me. Nobody makes them anymore. You sir are a life saver, thanks again.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Obviously one other option is to have an ATRA certified shop first do a diagnosis for you. If you look in the FSM there are several diagnostic tests that they can run on the lift without removing the valve body, not just reading the codes. They also have several wholesale transmission parts houses sources for rebuilt valve bodies & solenoid packs. I believe if you got it from them and had it installed it would also be warranted at any ATRA shop around the country (have to ask). There are also other obvious things it can be if they pull the valve body to take a look at it, like (in the best case) a broken accumulator teflon ring. Or one of the valve gizmos in the side of the valve body that is stuck in the bore. Worth asking what a diagnosis would cost. As you probably know, dropping the valve body to check it out is easy for them on the lift, so having them look at it if the diagnosis says that's the problem may not cost that much. They just have to make sure the accumulator pistons don't fall down, no sweat.
Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association, Shop Finder

·
Registered
153 Posts
My 2002 Concorde is having all kinds of failures that ultimately puts me in limp mode. I've been contemplating what to do with the damn car for literally, several years. I finally bite the bullet and pay for a new valve body and Solenoid pack and the valve body is MIA ..... nobody makes it anymore according to my tech. Anyone out there have used valve body in good condition or know where I might find one?
Edited: Added more info on reman valve body sources.

The OPs service guy must be just referrring to Mopar valve body remans not being available through his sources, since Sonnax and a few other professional valve body rebuilders obviously make reman valve bodies for everything including the 1st and 2nd Gen LH cars (see below).

Yes, searching on the Chrysler reman valve body part numbers for the 2nd Gen and 1st Gen, it looks like most of the online Mopar dealers are out of the Mopar remans. One might show up on ebay anytime though since strangely NOS Mopar parts come up there all the time from people buying up big lots of stuff from dealers that have closed. I have a post where I gave links to pdfs of the Mopar reman catalogs from several years ago with all the part numbers. There are still remans available of some other parts listed in those catalogs.

However, if you just call a local Dodge/Chysler dealership these days, due to the several Chysler ownership changes, they don't seem to have the same good system as many years ago where they could locate parts that they could order from other dealer's stock. Or maybe they don't want to go to the trouble anymore of ordering parts. You may just have to search around online. Just Googling the part number or searching on ebay often works, or you may have to go to the Mopar parts dealer's websites to enter it. Many of them are just local dealers that have a side business ordering Mopar parts. Some are much better than others in customer service. Shipping however, is often high.

By the way, it doesn't matter for the OP's application, but it looks like that company on ebay that was linked in this thread with the valve body had the cutoff date wrong for the two LH versions of the 42LE transmission valve bodies. They had "1995-UP" and "1993-1994." The cut-off date for going from round pins to spade pins on the MLPS connector was 1998, and most remans include a new MLPS. They've got it correct in the technical info at the bottom of the listing, but at least two of the vehicle application charts for the four valve bodies they've got (1 yr warranty or lifetime with different prices) are wrong also. I sent them an e-mail about it, but this a common confusion in 42LE valve body listings since there was also minor change to the bottom valve body plate in 1995 where they just changed the geometry of the passages a bit and the number of check balls.

If a valve body does not come with a new MLPS installed (and you can buy them separately), you may be able to interchange the valve bodies for 1993 through 2006 (in 2007 they added line pressure sensor gizmos to the valve body). However I am not certain of this at all, though the Valve Body Pro reman site (link below) seems to indicate that the two part numbers are interchageable without the MLPS. You could search around for tech info on this subject on the Sonnax and Transtar websites.

A606, 42LE Remanufactured Valve Bodies

Also, the ebay vendor that was linked writes in the listing that they are a Sonnax parts distributor and are using Sonnax valve body part upgrades, but they aren't actually selling the Sonnax remans, or giving you a Sonnax warranty. Ebay feedback is mostly positive, but they do have a few negative feedbacks. They have ebay listings for valve bodies with one-year warranty or lifetime (for a higher price), but you can also order directly from their website, where I think the prices may be different (lower?) than on ebay depending on the options you select. If you search online, there may be a few small companies like this around the U.S. that are selling their own rebuilt valve bodies. Of course a good transmission shop can do the same thing if your valve body is still serviceable.

Rockauto does have the genuine Sonnax valve bodies for 1st Gen (in stock) and 2nd Gen (shown, but currently out of stock). Like I wrote in the other response, the good transmission shops can also get them from Transtar and other Sonnax distrutors and take care of any warranty return if they do the install. Transmission shops can also get 42LE reman valve bodies from a couple other larger rebuilders like Valve Body Pro. Valve Body Pro does not sell directly to consumers, only to professional mechanics.

If you want to put it in yourself, besides Rockauto, you may also be able to buy valve bodies directly from some Sonnax or Transtar distributors and get the warranty - not sure, just have to ask. There are many of them all over the U.S., and you can just call or check the distributor websites. See the distributor link below.

Sonnax info:

Sonnax Distributors

42LE Remanufactured Valve Body
Part No. CHR196
’98-Later with Spade Pin MLPS Switch

42LE Remanufactured Valve Body
Part No. CHR193
’93–’98 with Round Pin MLPS Switch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts