DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I read in a thread about some car manufacturer (Nissan maybe???) that was putting a type of valved muffler system on some of their cars. The idea being at wide open throttle the valve would open letting more exhaust gases to escape. But at normal exceleration, the valve would only open a certain amount giving you better low end torque (more back pressure).

I was looking around the net and came across these. CLICK HERE

I don't know if these are similar. They claim better performance, better gas milage, and lower emissions. I thought I would share this with you all and I would also like to here what you people think.

[ February 02, 2002: Message edited by: Warlord187 ]

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Hmm...I might mess around with that idea come spring. I'm sure my tips will be a bit rusted and pitted by then. I will mess around with making them myself before spending $80 a piece though. God knows how long it would take me to find the right spring tension though.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
hmm, looks like not a bad product

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Yup, those mufflers are on the Sentra SE-R and the Maxima. They're really expensive, I think $200 canadian. I'm not sure about the warranty. Only place to get them is Nissan (that I've seen)

Also, it's the whole muffler, not just the tips.

[ February 03, 2002: Message edited by: Black94ES ]

·
980 Posts
Chrysler used to do something similar in the late sixties thru early seventies except in- stead of on the exhaustm tip it was at the exhaust manifold, little butterfly just as in the picture, worked on a thermal spring as the exhuaust got hotter the more open it would stay, the only problem the shaft collects soot and pretty soon that thing is squeaking and rattleling and your are trying to find a way to wire it open.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts