DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Unfortunatly, whoever screwed up my car last time did it in. Last wednesday, after class and on my way to my job, I found a 5lb bag of sugar strewn over the gas tank side of the car, including quite a bit in the throat of the gas tank as well as water marks from whatever douchebag decided to dissolve it into the tank.

Report made to the sherriff as well as insurance, but as it wasn't covered by my insurance, I'm going to have to write the car off because it's too damned expensive for me to fix right now. Fuel filter+pump+gas tank flush came to over 400 at the nearest shop that could do it, but bare in mind I'm in the boonies so to speak.

Car has not been driven since then, so engine is still good, and I guess this is where I commence parting it out.

If you need anything off a Chargold 94 trep, let me know and we can make arrangements. Will edit this thread and link to B/S/T thread for part-out.

Thanks much guys, hopefully I'll be able to get into a new trep in a few months or so.

Edit: Link to parts thread here.

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?p=966479#post966479

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Fix it yourself, if you have the time. If the car hasn't been started since then well the fuel that is tainted hasn't made it to the engine or anywhere past the gas tank. I would just unhook the fuel filter and drain the gas into a container then wash out the gas tank until it is clean, then replace the filter and all should be ok. I would also recommend getting a locking gas cap.

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Suck to hear that but why don't you get the tank cleaned out insted of getting rid of the whole car. Then buy a locking gas cap. I have one I will give you if you want it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Sugar isn't soluble in gasoline. That's an old wive's tale that it will get through the lines and wreck your engine. Not that I'd want to take the chance--
Basically, tho, forget all the filter, injector, pump, etc cleaning and just do the tank.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
popimp said:
Fix it yourself, if you have the time. If the car hasn't been started since then well the fuel that is tainted hasn't made it to the engine or anywhere past the gas tank. I would just unhook the fuel filter and drain the gas into a container then wash out the gas tank until it is clean, then replace the filter and all should be ok. I would also recommend getting a locking gas cap.
yeah, what he said.

Reactions: FraTrepid

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys, I've heard from several different mechanics that sugar will screw up the fuel pump regardless... I don't have the time or energy to do the repair with the credit load I'm currently holding. According to my hayne's manual, it looks like I need to dissasemble most of the suspension to drop the tank out... Also, will just using water clean out the tank and get rid of any residues? It's an iffy thing for me to attempt right now, so if it sits for a couple months, will that be a problem when I go to do it?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Myth busters did something on this awhile ago and think they busted it...
If your just going to part it out why not just continue to drive it then?

Reactions: FraTrepid

·
Registered
268 Posts
My cousin had sum hatin azz kats put sugar in his regal gs tank and he just put seafoam treatment in tank. 9months later still no problems

·
Banned
338 Posts
yeah, sugar won't do anything much. the water they put in it is more of a problem. I would not even mess with dropping the tank, I would remove the fuel pump (which can be done from the trunk of the car), and then siphon the gas out of the tank and pour new gas in. plus put a can or two of heet to get any residual water out.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp

shouldn't take you more than an afternoon to do.,

AJ

·
Registered
476 Posts
Forgive me but, i didnt read your first thread about the vandals. Did you do something to piss off someone or were they just random douchebags?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Mythbuster!

CluelessinMO said:
Sugar isn't soluble in gasoline. That's an old wive's tale that it will get through the lines and wreck your engine. Not that I'd want to take the chance--
Basically, tho, forget all the filter, injector, pump, etc cleaning and just do the tank.
So true! All it will do is clog the fuel filter and if you are really unlucky, the injectors.

+ rep :D

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Oh great, H2O in the tank.

You can use any product containing Isopropanol or Ethanol. DO NOT USE METHANOL PRODUCTS! The fuel system is NOT compatible with methanol.

Seafoam motor treatment (mix of petroleum distillates and Isopropanol) does a good job at getting rid of water, in your case, 2 cans is in order though.

Actually, these products don't make water disappear, the alchohol mixes with the water to form a flammable mixture..... it's like how vodka burns even though its only 40% alcohol with the rest being water.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just for info I read somewhere it takes more than a 1lb bag of sugar to harn a cars fuel system. Plus its proably more junk in gas from stations than sugar in your tank.

·
Registered
376 Posts
To echo the other posts here, flush the tank yourself and keep your car. If you saw the sugar and water and have not started the car, the problem is contained in the tank. As indicated above, granulated sugar is not that big of a deal. Water is not good, and who know what else they may have dumped in. Bits of styrofoam will turn into a nasty goo in gasoline. There's about a million other things they could have dumped in.

You could go about this several ways, but I personally would drop the tank and get it 100% clean. Replace the fuel filter and re-mount the tank. A couple cans of seafoam and a full tank of gas and you should be good to go.

Any ideas on who and why?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
well those locking gas caps don't work. trust me it keeps the retards out but not the smart ones. a few seconds and a flat head screw driver i can get one off.
hey question how much gas is in it?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's a bit over 3/4 of a tank of gas... I'd just filled it the other day when I got paid...
I wish I knew who or why, but there's a lot of car vandalism around here- the police seem to think its a random occurance because rush week (greek recruitment) is now over..
After reading everyone's thoughts so far, I have a few questions before I proceed any further, and thanks much for the help!

1) Where in the trunk can I get to the fuel pump?
2) What all will I need to replace when I get to it?
3) Where do I look for the things I'm replacing on the car?
4) How much work is it to drop the tank completely out of it (from someone who's done it hopefully)?
5) What do I use to clean the tank out, if I drop it out? Water?
6) About how long will this take?
7) Where can I order a locking gas cap for our cars? (No place around here carries them)

Thats all I've got for now, +rep for everyone who's helped so far!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
If I remember science class well enough, sugar doesnt do anything but sink to the bottom of gas :dunno: If the car hasn't been run, just empty the tank and clean it out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, maybe I'm not accquainted with teh search button well enough yet, but I didn't see a FAQ on doing that.... I've never had to do that before, and frankly, messing with anything like this scares me b/c of the BOOM! that could occur....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts