DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Variably Dimmable Windows

We're also researching how to bring our electrochromic technology to windows, both for architectural and automotive applications. Windows that dim with light or on demand are perfect as energy-saving windows for commercial and residential construction. In addition, they could be used for office building conference rooms and automotive sunroofs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
How does it work in comparison to low e coatings?

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
This technology has existed for several years. I actually saw windows like that in a "house of the future" episode of Hometime (or one of those PBS home shows). It's really a cool concept. When I saw it the first thing I though about was having it in my car. However, the technology at that time, obviously it has evolved now, required the window to be much too thick to be useable in the car. It would be awsome to have one day...

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
The Maybach has an option electrochromatic roof panel that changes from opaque to translucent at a twist of a knob.

It isn't hard to do, just expensive. In home applications it adds something like $100 to every square foot of glass.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
That would be pretty badass... because then the next time I got pulled over by the state patrol i could untint my windows and avoid another ticket :)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I can see it now....

There I am, cruising the streets of Saint Paul with my 5% limo tint dialed in. They're so dark I barely notice the cherries light up behind me. I pull over while dialing down the tint to crystal clear. "What seems to be the problem, officer?" says I. He just looks at the windows and scratches his head. :tongue: :biggrin:

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
It does, but when I saw this stuff on TV, keep in mind it was several years ago and I'm sure technology has changed significantly, the windows were about 1" thick. That much glass carries quite a bit of weight. That much extra weight will stress the door hinges, window motors etc. not to mention how much it will add to the over-all weight of the car. But I'm sure this is no longer an issue...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts