DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever hear of Vector Marketing? It's a company that uses college students to sell Cutco knives. I had no idea what the company was about, I called a number that I saw in the newspaper for "Great Pay, flexible hours" .. Went to the interview, and they really emphasized that it is not telemarketing OR door-to-door salesman. They said I would give product demos to interested customers, which didn't sound too bad, considering they paid a guaranteed base pay of $13.75 per appointment.

Well I went to the first day of training, and they wanted 40 names and numbers of close family and friends who they wanted everyone to "practice" on, and give the whole product presentation.

I went along with it and made it sound like I was interested, came home and typed this up...

Went in the next morning and handed it to the manager and told him I'm never coming back...i can't believe I actually did that, was quite fun lol

they disguise themselves as www.workforstudents.com and post flyers all over college campuses, it's a big pyramid scheme scam, don't be a victim!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Too bad you couldn't stick around to see the facial reaction of your boss. And too bad you can't tear down all their posters from campus.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Not a pyramid scheme. Just a high-end knife maker using the name of another company to trick kids into selling their stuff. We have Cutco knives, and they freaking rule. Not cheap, but SO worth it.

Tough steak -- MEET YOUR DOOM!!!

·
Banned
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, they are high quality knives, and yes, it is a pyramid scheme. Trainees are supposed to ask for 2 to 3 referrals from each customer. when you go from 40 people, to 80 people, to 160 people, that is the definition of a pyramid scheme. they rely solely on referrals for their customer market

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Sounds more like MLM to me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow, thank god i read this thread! I recieved a letter in the mail from them (yes i am a college kid) and i WAS going to call them and see what kind of jobs they offered but thanks to Gary, i now know not to waste my time!

THANKS MAN!!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
LOUD98ES said:
Those knives ****ING BLOW. I wouldn't cut a ****in fart with one of them.
:gun: :bandit: Farts can be really thick and can peel the paint off of a wall sometimes. :giveup:

·
Registered
379 Posts
No, a pyramid scheme requires customers that become sellers for profit. When we bought our Cutco knives, we did not employ ourselves as Cutco dealers, as Amway buyers often do. Nor were we asked to sell knives for profit.

What Cutco does is ask for simple referrals -- that is not a pyramid. Its flat.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I remember years ago a "friend" roped me into going to a Financial opportunity deal, turned out to be a giant Pyramid Scheme. I smelled that **** from the first day! Same thing, they wanted all the names and phone #'s of all your relatives and even just cold calling from the phone book.

·
Registered
379 Posts
creepingdeath said:
I remember years ago a "friend" roped me into going to a Financial opportunity deal, turned out to be a giant Pyramid Scheme. I smelled that **** from the first day! Same thing, they wanted all the names and phone #'s of all your relatives and even just cold calling from the phone book.
A pyramid is economically built from sellers turning buyers into sellers. Cutco knives are sold directly person to person. Customers arent required to become dealers for Cutco to make a profit.

Their "job opportunities" are shady, but they only sell knives, not schemes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts