DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone...:smileyvault-newhere to the forum and I look forward to being able to answer as many questions as I ask going forward. Thanks in advance for any help!

As I am working through getting the 94 Intrepid I bought for my son on the road I am in need of your expertise. I have some vertical play in the steering wheel. It will move up and down aprox .5 to.75 inches. Before I begin taking things apart I thought I would through the question out to see if anyone has and idea about what it could be. It's a simple up and down movement of the steering wheel only. Is there a bushing that could be bad or is it as simple a a few screws needing to be tightened.

Thanks

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
It is not uncommon for the bolts/nuts that hold the steering column up to become loose - but since you say it is not perceived in the cowling, and just the wheel (right?), then it may be a bad steering column - you'd need to replace the column. Have no idea if it is still available through the dealer or not, but I'd use a junk yard unit anyway.

·
Dain bramaged
7,214 Posts
you could always go and check to see if it was indeed the problem on the junk car..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VEEBORG! You Da Man! pulled the steering column shroud off and there it was...small pin that had wiggled its way out. Tapped it back in and now it's good as new. Thanks Again!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I remember this fix. IIRC, each pin accounts for a half tooth movement so, if one backs out your tilt mechanism will slop.

I was thinking originally of the pivot which is above those pins. Older Chryslers used the GM Saginaw design which was always coming loose at the hammer-in pivot pins.

This is good info! Thanks Veeborg!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts