DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,

I"m not sure what's happening with my 2.7L... but sometimes when I'm just sitting in the car with it running... it will start vibrating rythmicly... kinda like a hummm.... hummm..... hummmmmm.

then all the sudden it will stop

anyone have any idea what this might be?

I'm pretty sure I need to do the valve stem seals already... just wondering what else might be going on under the hood.

thanks

Mark

·
Registered
293 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is either motor mounts or you have a cooling fan that is loose. That would at least explain it starting and stopping. See if the vibration coincides with the radiator cooling fans going on and off.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I've noticed something like this on mine occasionally. I can't hear anything, but I can feel it when my left arm is resting on the door. It's very subtle, but it's there - occasionally. I've wondered if it's timing chain slack, or perhaps a stretched portion of the timing chain that flutters as it goes around. But it's not there all the time - which sort of rules out the chain ( I hope).

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have the same thing on my 00 corde 2.7. I got near 106k miles, how many you got on yours?

Do the rpms go up when it vibrates? Mine don't

Also when mine was in the shop recently they had it on a lift and whenever he accelerated the engine I was in front with the hood open the engine lifted up and down on the gas. So he said thats because of bad motor mounts.

So im guessing the motor mounts are going bad and I get vibrations just like you.

:thinking:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm... .lots to think about there.
I honestly have no clue if it's the timing chain... I once had a timing chain go on me in my old oldsmobile... but it just died all the sudden... replaced the gear and chain... worked great after... but didn't notice this kinda humm that we're getting/feeling

I suppose it could be the motor mounts... it's just that the sound/vibration is soo random... I almost feel like when it happens... the car drops a little (very little) bit of idle rpm... maybe just my plugs are all gunked up with the oil I've been burning... don't really feel like worrying about replacing plugs and such until I fix my valve stem seals :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.