WHAT WILL the car thieves THINK
OF NEXT?

The car thieves peer through the
windshield of your car or vehicle,
write down the VIN # from the label
on the dash, go to the local car
dealership and request a duplicate
key based on the VIN #.

I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called Chrysler-Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.

The Car Dealer's Parts Department will
make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car.

He doesn't have to break in, do any damage
to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local chop
shop with your vehicle.

You don't believe it?

It IS that EASY.

To avoid this from happening to you,
simply put some dark tape (electrical
tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Number Metal Label
located on the dashboard.

By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you CAN cover it so it can't be
viewed through the windshield by a car thief.

I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck.

I slipped a 3x5 card over my VIN
NUMBER.

PASS THIS INFORMATION ON TO ALL YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS NOW!!!!!

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
You know, I was thinking about that on my way home from school. I keep papers over it.

Good advice though!

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Not in Ontario. I tried getting a key cut for my wife's car, as I need to have two to install her remote starter. The dealerships around here all told me, the owner of the vehicle needs to come down, with proof of ownership and identification, before they will cut and program a key. My name is on the insurance slip, and having the same address,and bringing the car and keys with me, and they still won't do it. Said it's the law.

·
Dain bramaged
7,234 Posts
the local dodge dealer requires proof of ownership and will only cut keys for the owner, not for repo/carlots.

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
I'm sure that there is always that one shop that will do it though. There maybe some guy there that doesnt care and will do it.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I had a ford key cut by vin last year- I forget what all I had to show, but it was the dealer I bought the car from.

Covering up the VIN plate is a good idea - it also makes the repo guy work harder

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
I told my friend whos a cop about this and he told me that it would be best to do it with paper but when you get pulled over the cops match the vin with your paperwork sometimes and if its covered up it will make the cop wonder even more.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you have the anti theft device that does absolutely no good you have to have 2 functional keys to program the 3rd key. Basically all they can do is get in the key can not be programmed with out the car.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
I told my friend whos a cop about this and he told me that it would be best to do it with paper but when you get pulled over the cops match the vin with your paperwork sometimes and if its covered up it will make the cop wonder even more.
I keep my business card there just for that reason...cops check and then usually leave me alone.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I'd rather just change out the door locks and use two keys, like GMs and Fords. Dont have to explain anything to anyone and its totally undetectable to theifs. If your really smart, keep your keys in different places so if one get taken the theif still has some work to do.. There are plenty of funky creative ways to make your car theft resistant.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Hmm, how about getting a label maker and make a fake vin number and slap it on the real one? after all theres a crap load of places that have the VIN numbers on our cars.
This is a fantastic idea. No one needs to know your VIN unless you want to tell them what it is. F' em all. Bastich thieves.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts