DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have been looking for a good alarm to replace the factory alarm in my 'trep. The one in particular is the Viper 550 ESP. Information can be found here:
Viper Car Alarms
This particular model can be found at:
Viper 550 ESP

My question is can this be put in with the existing alarm. I was planning on having it installed professionally because I do want a warranty with it and I don't want it to mess up. Would the factory alarm have to be disabled.

Please, anyone that has put an aftermarket car alarm in their 'trep, tell me about your experience and what kind of alarm you have. Good and bad experiences welcome.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
if the alarm has a "alarm disable" wire coming off of it it is easy to do becasue that will disarm the facrory alarm, i beleive the wire os green/orange in the driver side door, u can get to it at the upper end of driver kick pannel or just at the door, and running it through the door to teh alarm.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have a Clifford (Avital) alarm system in my car and I love it. I also have a pro start auto starter in her, and love that too. They are also integrated so I can start the car with the alarm key fob. And do some research on Viper's products. I have heard some people aren't to happy with their products, but again, you can't please anyone, so I'd do some research.> I have had m avital system in for about 1 year now, and it cost about 300 Canadian, Installed and integrated with the starter. I'm sure you can just yank out the fuse for the factory alarm, or find the power for it and kill it. OR, find the module for it, and yank it out. It's probably under the driver kick panel, above the brakes/gas pedals. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have the viper 550esp in my "97" sport but had no factory alarm so I can not tell you how it interfaces but it is a great system

·
Registered
602 Posts
I used to have a Viper 300ESP in my 95' Trep I used to have then upgraded to a 550ESP for the "Talking Proximity Sensor". I never had a factory or Locktronics Anti-Theft unit in it however.

With my 99ES w/Factory Locktronics Anti-Theft I was told by a professional installer that the factory alarm could not be disabled. I had one of those keys with a chip in it as well and I'm not sure if that had something to do with it. I have always thought that this was not true, but they told me that by the way it was completely integrated it couldn't be done. I'm still not sure.

I didn't want my factory Anti-Theft system to just sit there never being used so I had them wire it to where when the Viper was set it would also initiate the Factory Locktronics Anti-Theft unit. I have seen people do this reversed to where they use the Factory Anti-Theft or keyless entry remote.... Don't Do It! Make sure you are using the Viper or other decent alarm remote since it will usually have rolling codes and will not be as easily cloned. My Viper 600ESP that I had in my 99ES supposedly had 266 rolling codes.

I was going to have them setup my 99ES with remote start but they said that I'd have to order an extra key or something since it had the chip in it and that it would have to sit around the alarm unit or something. I didn't like this idea at all and thought it sounded ridiculous so I didn't do it!

I'm not sure if any of that info helps, but that's what I know from my experience.

Later guys,
MoparPerformance :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts