1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
LMFAO, that "increase" is because during the SP2 install Vista removes ALL prior restore points, that way if you used system restore nothing becomes seriously unstable because of the new files installed. This is why people are "gaining" hard drive space when nothing is being changed other than the system doing a massive cleanup of temporary files and restore points.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'll take all the free space I can get.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you really wanna keep as much hard drive space as possible, delete all temporary files in %temp% and run disk cleanup, then click the more options tab in disk cleanup and cleanup restore points/shadow copies, but be warned, if you need to go to a previous point in time, you won't be able to till a new restore point is created.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Or just get another drive.

External drives and internal drives are cheap, especially running up into the 1TB range. I have 100GB OS only drive, and a 1TB media only drive so if for any reason Vista gets badly corrupted (you gotta be an idiot to do that) I'll format the drive and reinstall with all the files still saved.

I keep a 1TB Western Digital My-Book hooked up to the eSATA port on my laptop when it's at the docking station, and use it as a backup.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Honestly IMO Vista Is The Worst Operating System Ever Made...It Doesnt Let You Do Anything Without Asking Permission Or Some Damn Compatibility Issue. I Had All Sorts Of Vista Installed On My PC And Just Ended Up Stickying With XP Pro.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sigh, anyone can find ways to turn that stuff off, most of the time I serviced a customers PC they had already had most of them options turned off anyhow by the computer manfacture, BTW the next version, Win7 is heavily based on Vista, but more "streamlined" than vista. Think of Vista as 2000 Pro, and Win7 as XP Home/Pro if you would like. Vista has also become INCREDIBLY stable, even more stable than XP Pro did in a FAR shorter amount of time, sure it is on SP2, but Vista was a complete rework of Windows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts