DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Voodoo3 Video card went out last friday on my PC that I use mainly for games. I have one 40 gig, and two 20 gig slave hard drives... I replaced the voodoo card with a old old old Diamond 8meg Video card that don't do 3D's until i can figure out what to do about the voodoo card. Like do i want to get it fixed, and is it worth fixing... So what I should do? Try to get it fix or get a new one, if so what kind of video card...... :confused:

·
980 Posts
Do not think anybodys going to fix it, look for NVIDIA GeForce of some sort, 32mb mx200 can be purchased pretty cheaply.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have an NVidia GeForce2 MX400. Its a 64mb card and it s SWEET!! I play NFS:porsche Unleased and its amazing!
I strongly suggest this chipset.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'll have to agree with the recommendation of an nVidia GeForce based card. The only question you have is which chipset to use and that will depend solely upon your budget and need/desire for the "geewhiz" factor.

Any of the GeForce2 MX cards will do ya fine for $70-$100 (price will depend on 32MB vs. 64MB). If you want the best card available for the consumer market, look at a card based on the GeForce3 Ti chipset. Those will run you around $275-$350 depending on the extra features the card has (Stereoscopic goggles, spiffy TV-out features, etc.).

If you want to stick with the VooDoo3, don't bother repairing it. Just buy one in a used computer parts store (some new ones may still be around) for less than $50.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i just bought a GeForce3 Ti200 because my old TNT2 melted (fan stopped turning). from all reviews i've read this is the best performance card for the money. i paid 180 bucks shipped but that was several weeks ago, they're cheaper now. you can overclock them to the speed of the GeForce3 Ti500 with no problems. also to note: yes, the radeon 8500 has the architecture capability to outperform the Ti500 by leaps and bounds but with ATi's history of writing drivers that either don't work or crash or both, the probablility of the 8500 outclassing the Ti500 is quite low.

bottom line - if you want performance, go nVidia.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyone's info. I went to CompUSA computer store, and they said that Voodoo was bought out by Radian (ATI). But now that CJ mention that a used PC store may have Voodoo 3 cards I'm going tomorrow for lunch to an Old PC store to see if they have some ... but if not I'm going to look into getting a (nVidia GeForce) card or even a Radian ATI 8500..... I would like to find one that's like under $140.00. I have games like midtown madness 1 & 2, NFSHS, C&C Tibarian Sun, Rollercoaster tycoon, Transport tycoon deluxe. This are just a sample of games I have. And A good Video card is a must for these games...... :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would go against getting another one. Since they are out of business/bought by nvidia, they no longer make drivers for them. 3DFX cards hardly work at all in XP, and are close to a year old (driver wise) in the other OS's. Go out to ebay and pick up a used geforce 2 64mb ultra for $150....

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I have been to two different Computer store, and they both said VooDoo was bought out by Radian. So now i don't know who bought out who... i just want a Good if not better than my Voodoo 3 Card..........I can get a new geforce 2 64mb ultra for $119.00 at a local PC store.... I'm thinking about getting it tomorrow..... Once again thanks for everyones info.... ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts