DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
439 Posts
very cool stuff... I'm a big NASA fan.. I went on a field trip in 10th grade to the Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) to give a presentation of a 1/4 scale model of the Triana satellite that I helped to build. We were then allowed to enter the clean tent where the actual satellite was under construction..

I am the guy on the bottom right hand corner :)

just imagine what technology they'll have 50 years from now...

·
Registered
589 Posts
concordia said:
yes, very cool. VGR-1 keeps on truckin'... maybe another 15-20 yrs until its fuel runs out.

and now, finally we'll try setting sail on those solar winds... (no more fuel to run out of!)
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/05/13/vision.solarsail/index.html

they dont have to use fuel... its in space after all. all you have to do send it one direction with enough force... and it'll keep going.

·
Banned
439 Posts
Trytic said:
they dont have to use fuel... its in space after all. all you have to do send it one direction with enough force... and it'll keep going.
that's assuming space has no external forces acting on the craft such as gravity or friction from gas and dust....

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think there is some minute drag exerted upon the craft... as space isn't a complete vacuum... so who knows.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Trytic said:
they dont have to use fuel...
Voyager probes use fuel to keep them stabilized so that the antenna can be pointed @ Earth - that and its plutonium fuel power cell are the only consummables.

·
Registered
605 Posts
concordia said:
I'll give you 5 bucks to walk up to the guy in the lower left and say:
I dig your purse, man! :turn:
LOL! " It's not a purse. It's European!!!"

Jesda said:
I was expecting a minivan thread.
Ditto.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Way cool !. Talk about miles per galon, those crafts are still going strong :)
There are a lot of speculation as to what actually goes on in the heliosheath.
Some scientists even predicted that certain regions within the heliosheath could be much denser than anticipated and could potential knock Voyager off course, or even damage it during the transition.
Its good to know that it survived the transition through the heliosheath. Now the next question is how the Voyagers will perform as they cross the heliopause, where there is more direct interaction between the solar and interstellar winds.

Beyond that, we could only hope to learn much more about space as the Voyagers continue on their trips.
Who knows, maybe a hundred years from now, an alien race would drop by the Earth and throw Voyager back at us with a note "Keep your junk off my lawn". :)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Something very similar to that was the theme for the first Star Trek movie. Voyager had collected so much knowledge about the universe and had travelled so far away that it could not communicate its findings back to Earth, and so an alien species fashioned a huge elaborate thing to help Voyager achieve its mission.

·
Registered
605 Posts
00ChryslerIntrepid said:
Something very similar to that was the theme for the first Star Trek movie. Voyager had collected so much knowledge about the universe and had travelled so far away that it could not communicate its findings back to Earth, and so an alien species fashioned a huge elaborate thing to help Voyager achieve its mission.
...and that/those episodes where called....? :D

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Umm... no, not the USS Voyager..... the Voyager probes, launched in the late 1970's.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yeah I remember that movie. I liked that plot.
I just cant remember if Voyager ! was damaged before the aliens got to it, or if it was actually the alien enhancements that turned it into V_GER who forgot important details about its mission and creators.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As I recall, it was "Voyager 6"... and was given these alien enhancements in order to help it complete its mission.

But, then again, it's been a long time since I watched the first ST movie.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts