DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start my trep, I hear an annoying waaaaaaaaaaaa (high pitched squeal) sound until I press the on the gas. Any time Im just "coasting" or at a stop light I still here it. Its only when my foot isn't on the gas pedal.
Sugestions????

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Theres alot of things it could be. The first thing I'd check is to make sure your belts are dry and tight and then I'd check the power steering fluid level. PS pumps have a habit of squealing when they're leaking or low on fluid.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
also pay attention to any idler pulleys water pump (hard i know),, alternator bearings,, belts,,,, thats all folks

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Yeah, my A/C idler is starting to go. I can hear it making some noise now and again. Very tough to hear it at this point, which is why I haven't replaced it yet.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
dodgerunner said:
Vacuum leak whisling?
See, now when I rev mine in park, I hear a whistle coming from around the throttle body area, but I haven't found any leaks. I can even hear it from inside the car. I chalked it up to the air flowing thru the intake manifold. But the idler pulley makes a different noise. When it was really cold, it would make a squeal for about 5 seconds and be fine. But now when its idling low (hot idle around 600) I hear a faint sort of rattling. It very much sounds like bearings going bad. And when I'm under the hood its tough to pinpoint, but sounds like its the A/C idler. I've even grabbed the pulley with the belt on, and can wiggle it on its bolt from side to side, so its got a little play in it. For the time being, I sprayed it with the lube gel I use on door hinges. I thought about using PB Blaster but the stuff is so fluid, I figure it would just run out. I picked up this Lube Gel at WallyWorld a couple years ago that I spray in hinges and locks, and it stays put. Smells a lot like 80W-90 gear oil used in some manual trannies I used to drive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A theory - at idle your belt may be having to over-power a sticky pulley (worn bearing in WP, alt, PS, AC or idler) and squeeling as a result of the resistance. When under throttle it may be enough pull to "line it back up."
Remove your belts and start the engine (from near-cold, if possible). If no squeal put one of the two belts on and start 'er again. Squeal - probably found it. No squeal - put on the second belt and start 'er again. Squeal - listen for proximity. No squeal - new mystery.

Boron-X

1 - 9 of 9 Posts