DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have been having a problem that has jut got annoying enough to post about. My wipers have been acting kinda crazy, especially since it's been colder. My wipers are not well moving as wipers should. A majority of the time I will turn them on and they will move an inch, hold until the time interval is up for the intermitent and it will wipe twice in quick succession. And sometimes first thing when I turn them on they go over 5 or 6 times like I was using the washers, this is just turning the knob no pushing in to get the spray. Today was the day it got very annoying, they wiped like I was using hte washers and then stopped once at full extension and then another time half way through the retraction. :eek: I mean next time I have DeepRed in the shop I'll have them check it out, but I was wondering if anyone knows what's going on with my wipers? I'm beginning to think that with this and my dash lights flickering occationally my body controler is just possessed. :devil:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I shouldhave been more specific, the dash lights don't flicker on and off they flicker from low to bright... explained in this posting.

Dashboard Lights Flicker

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hey Deepred,

I'm actually have the exact same problem with my wipers! Let me know what the cure was once you go to the shop. Whenever I've had mine in, they're not able to reproduce the problem.

Very frustrating....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Gee....I have the same problem with the wipers on my 1999 Caravan. Also have problems with the dash lights going from dim to bright and bright to dim. The interior lights will flash on and off at random as well.

·
Read Only
118 Posts
The interior lights will flash on and off at random as well.
My Intrepid’s interior lights (overhead not dash) do this occasionally as well. It got really bad last year with them flashing almost constantly, I was able to demonstrate the problem to my dealer and he replaced the BCM under warranty. This seemed to solve the problem, but recently they have started doing it again. During the day it is an embarrassment, but at night it is kind of dangerous as the flickering lights mess with my night vision. They hard part is demonstrating the problem to the dealer, as it is very intermittent.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My window wipers haven't done anything like that, but my odometer/gear selector has flickered to full brightness a few times... and it's been happening more and more lately. My parents' grand voyager's window wipers turn on and do one wipe when going around a sharp corner when there's a bump (like an entrance to a parking lot). Sometimes does it when accellerating into traffic while turning.

With this happening to a few of us on here, is there a TSB related to this? if not, WHY NOT? It seems to be a well known problem now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
JigSawMan said:

My Intrepid’s interior lights (overhead not dash) do this occasionally as well. It got really bad last year with them flashing almost constantly, I was able to demonstrate the problem to my dealer and he replaced the BCM under warranty. This seemed to solve the problem, but recently they have started doing it again. During the day it is an embarrassment, but at night it is kind of dangerous as the flickering lights mess with my night vision. They hard part is demonstrating the problem to the dealer, as it is very intermittent.
Had this happen on my 95. The switch on the door frame needed adjustment. If the switch is bad just un-screw it and replace. Shouldn't cost to much. Have no clue with dash light problem. For you guys with wiper issues that happen off and on try spraying the windshield with a hose while running the wipers. Maybe you can recreate the problem if the conditions are right.

·
Read Only
118 Posts
Had this happen on my 95. The switch on the door frame needed adjustment. If the switch is bad just un-screw it and replace. Shouldn't cost to much. Have no clue with dash light problem. For you guys with wiper issues that happen off and on try spraying the windshield with a hose while running the wipers. Maybe you can recreate the problem if the conditions are right.
If it was a bad switch, why did the problem completely stop when the dealer replaced the Body Control Module (BCM)? The dealer made the same assumption at first, but could not find a problem via that route. I'm sure that they would have prefered to replace a cheap switch instead of the BCM.

The lights flickering have nothing to do with the doors being ajar or any bumps in the road while traveling. I have had the lights start flickering on me when I am sitting still in a parking lot. I'm not ruling out that there may be another thing causing the problem, but seems odd that as soon as the BCM was replaced the problem stopped. The only answer I can conceive is that maybe a connector to the BCM itself is bad and when they replaced the old unit they "jiggled" the connector just right to make it work.

·
Registered
686 Posts
dimming lights

I haven't had any of this happen yet. Now i'm getting nervous about when it's gonna happen! Hopefully it'll never will, or if it does, I still have some xtended warrenty left. If it does happen, now I know what the culprit could be. Thanks for the tip guys!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
murphy strikes again

Ugh, well of course I have DeepRed in the dealer today and they can't find anyting wrong with the wipers or the dash lights and say the body controler checks out fine. I mean these are just annoyances and they are unable to duplicate them... no fun. :mad:
Sorry guys I couldn't come up with anything from the dealer for ya... I may send a question to a different dealership, I am losing faith in the local one and may just travel the car down to the next closest one which is only like 35 minutes away from me from now on. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Re: murphy strikes again

DEEPRED said:
Ugh, well of course I have DeepRed in the dealer today and they can't find anyting wrong with the wipers or the dash lights and say the body controler checks out fine. I mean these are just annoyances and they are unable to duplicate them... no fun. :mad:
Hey DEEPRED,

My car was in to the dealer today, and they have located the problem with my wipers (I had the exact same problem as you). They have had to order parts. Once I pick her up, I'll let you know what had to be done.

Let's just hope they fixed the right problem.....:)

Cheers.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Not sure if it will help, but the dealer told me that thye are replacing the wiper motor. They "think" that there is possible a short in the wiring coming out of the motor. It's still covered by warranty, so they don't really care if they replace the part. They get paid either way.

Once the part is in and installed, I'll let you know if this has solved the problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
same problems here

I have both the wiper problem and the interior lights problem. my wipers are annoying but something i can live with if my extended warranty doesnt cover. i have to turn my dimmer down one notch or else my interior lights flicker once in a while. too weird.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
I don't have the wiper problem, but I do have the interior light flash problem. All my interior courtesy lights will flash once in a while. It seems to have spells of it where it will do it several times over a few days and then not again for weeks or months. The dealer has looked at it twice but have never been able to reproduce the problem or find anything wrong with the door switches etc. The car was in an accident about 4 months after I bought it so I just figured it was remants of that. But now that I see more people have the problem I'm starting to reconsider... :confused:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Smithery said:
Not sure if it will help, but the dealer told me that thye are replacing the wiper motor. They "think" that there is possible a short in the wiring coming out of the motor. It's still covered by warranty, so they don't really care if they replace the part. They get paid either way.

Once the part is in and installed, I'll let you know if this has solved the problem.
Problem seems to be fixed. I've had to use them on and off for the past week or so, in both rain and snow (****!) conditions. Who-da thunk it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 99 Intrepid with the exact same problems with my wiper blades and dome/dash lights.

I noticed that if I dim the lights slightly down from the first notch on the switch that I don't get the flickering anymore, so it must be a switch problem.

My truck release button and trunk light also don't work and my check engine light comes on occasionally. I have had soooo many minor electrical problems with my car.

I don't know alot about cars, but thanks to this site I have the confidence to try and fix these problems myself instead of trading in my car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts