DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today marks the beginning of the Interceptor Mk 2 Project. After getting the new PCM installed into the Interceptor Mk 1 last night, the electronic systems in car came back on, including the controls for the engine. And with a little bit of clearing the debris out and away from the main belt, I was able to get the engine to fire up for a few seconds before it shut itself off.

The plan is to use the Interceptor Mk 1 as parts for the Interceptor Mk 2. It will use the Blitz style body kit, a new exhaust system that will most likely come out in front of the back tires, new wheels, new suspension, a straight forward spoiler, plus other parts, that I come across along the way.

For the Interceptor Mk 1's wreck sig, click here: http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?t=213572

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
So what progress has been made?
I'm sure we'd all like to hear about her getting back on the road.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's Leo!

Sorry for the long wait, but here is the Interceptor Mk 2, also known as Leo Leonardo the Car, or Leo for short.

Here's Leo!

I got him for $630 from a guy about 100 miles from where I live. On the way home, I was laughing almost the whole way because of the little quarks, like how the headlights were damaged to the point that barely any light made it to the road. And the fact that my $630 car was passing all the new cars on the highway with ease.

It has a 3.3L engine in it with 196,500 miles on it but runs strong. The interior and some electronics needed a lot of work. I am replacing all of the seats with the ones out of the Mk 1, along with the center console, stereo, heater controls, light control, mirror control and Intake Box.

The gutted interior of Leo.

I have been working on the interior for the past week. Also, that front fender is going to be replaced.

There are a few things that are going to be added to make it into the Interceptor Mk 2. Those include Emergency Strobes, the pushbar I got from Pick-n-Pull, and the INP Logo.

I am deciding whether or not to put this on the hood of Leo or on the doors, of both. The INP SFC stands for InterNational Police Star Fleet Command.

The pushbar that will be placed on the front of Leo. Picked it off of a crown vic at the local pull a part for $20.

Leo is a fun car that has been beaten for a good time in its life, but will begin a new life as my car. I have learned my lesson about driving like a mad man on country roads.

Also, in case you were wondering, Leo got his name from one of the main characters off of VG Cats, mister Leo Leonardo the Third.

This little guy is where I got the name Leo from. I think I might contact the artist of the comic to get a larger image to make a bumper sticker with.

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
I'm interested to see how much fabrication will be needed to get that pushbar on there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should have the car paid off on Friday (my parents bought it but I have to pay it off). After that, it's time for some mods. I am debating on whether or not to do a engine swap between the Mk1 and Mk2. Since the Mk1's 3.5 has been rebuilt has about 60,000 less miles on it, I trust it more then the 3.3 in the Mk2. Plus, if I can get ahold of the guy that runs these at Bonneville, I can see what he does to get the 3.5s to fly. I will probably do a new exhaust system during the swap as well.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
You may run into some wiring differences, but as long as you have BOTH cars - the 3.5 will go in place of the 3.3. You have to shorten the passenger side exhaust about 2 inches, driver's side matches perfect.

You will need the vacuum lines along the driver's and passenger fenders, as well as the starter and alternator wiring harness(es).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was going to ditch the stock exhaust and go with just mufflers since the county I live in doesn't require the cats. I may need to get new vacuum lines since the front frame on the Mk1 was demolished on impact. I was hoping on using the AC condenser from the 3.3 on the 3.5 since the 3.5's was most likely damaged on impact as well.

·
15,449 Posts
If your AC is good, the AC compressor doesn't have to be opened up.. Just unbolt the 4 bolts and unplug the harness - you may have to monkey with getting the harness from the 3.5 to hook to the 3.3 compressor, but nothing complicated. You can then bolt the 3.3 compressor back to the side of the 3.3 block, and never have to open the system. Gently bend the hard line on top to keep the hose from rubbing the frame, you'll be good to go.

The vacuum lines will be fine - but do source them.

Unless you don't live in the United States, you DO require cats - you may just not have inspection that looks for them - it is ILLEGAL to remove them and run with out them willfully. Besides, you'll have to form new flanges and down pipes anyway. Keep your cats - plumb the system from there. You'll just need to shorten the pipe - OR - just drop the exhaust out of the 3.5 car and use that. I personally am looking for a good 3.5 exhaust system as a starter for a true dual for my 3.5 transplant.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
So, what progress has been made? And I didn't understand: are you fixing your trep, or mod/fix the golden one?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't had the time to work on it due to school. But winter break is coming up so I can get a lot done during it.

The original car is now a donor car due to the damage.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Might be good for interior, BUT SCRAP THE SEAT BELT FOR THE DRIVER; WEBBING PROBABLY STRECHED MAKING IT INADEQUITE FOR PROPER PROTECTION IN ANOTHER ACCIDENT(which I hope never happens)

·
15,449 Posts
Any seat belt that was being worn is suspect, yes.... but there is a tell-tail at the anchor end of the webbing that will tell you if it is over stretched or not. A side colision like that may not have toasted the belts.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I think its time for an update!

First off, I didn't use the seatbelts from the Mk 1, it was going to be to much of a hassle to get them out. Plus, the dark grey belts from the Mk 2 over the light tan seats of the Mk 1 looks stunning! Secondly, I have finish work on the interior for the most part, sonow its time for the exterior.

But now its time for a some depressing photos of the Mk 1:

Slowly, more and more parts are coming off

The gutted interior of the Mk 1

I should probably lighten up the mood with an experiment I am doing to the back of Leo:

Just got my Washingtion State Zombie Hunting Permit put on the car.
I am using the tail light and reflect surrounds from the black Mk 1 and putting them on the silver Mk 2. Personally,I like the look of them, they bring a little more 'detail' to the back end.

Also, I was able to do a test fit of the pushbar today.

Here is the Interceptor Mk 2 during a test fit of the "new" pushbar.

I do like the look of the pushbar, but regret not getting the other clip for the passenger side mount. Looks like I will have to get a new on fabricated when it comes time to mount this baby on.

And last but not least, I have decided what I am going to do with the 3.5L from the Mk 1. How does a turbocharged 4.0 stroker sound?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts