DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, since a lot of people have similar threads for what mods they have in their rides, I thought I would do something like that for my computers. :D

Main Computer
Case: Aspire X-Navigator (black and white/silver, w/large side window); includes 500W clear PSU
MoBo: ASUS A7V8X (Gigabit LAN, Serial ATA, AGP 8X)
CPU: AMD XP 2400+ (2.00GHz)
RAM: 1GB (2x512MB) Kingston Value Ram (DDR333, PC2700, CAS 2.5)
HD: Maxtor 250GB Ultra Series (8MB cache, ATA/133, 7200RPM)
Maxtor 30GB (2MB cache, ATA/133, 7200RPM)
Floppy: Mitsumi 3.5" (black bezel)
Optical: Memorex CD-R/RW (52x24x52, black bezel)
BenQ double layer DVD+-R/RW (16x DVD write, black bezel)
Video: XFX PVT43AND (nVidia GeForce 6600GT, 128MB RAM, 8X AGP)
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Cooling (extra): 1x120mm fan (window side of case, air out)
2x80mm fan (rear of case, air in)
1x80mm fan (top of case, air out)
1x80mm fan (front of case, air in)
*All fans have blue LEDs and came with the case.
Other: Round IDE/Floppy cables
Dual channel audio cable (for CD & DVD)
SuSE Linux Professional 8.2

File Server
Case: Antec CS400B - Builder Series (black)
MoBo: ASUS A7V8X-X (Gigabit LAN, AGP 8X, *onboard audio)
CPU: AMD XP 1800+ (1.53GHz)
RAM: 256MB (1x256MB) Kingston Value Ram (DDR333, PC2700, CAS 2.5)
HD: Western Digital Special Edition 80GB (8MB cache, ATA/100, 7200RPM)
Floppy: NEC 3.5" (black bezel)
Optical: Lite-On CD-R/RW (52x32x52, black bezel)
Video: ASUS A7000/T/64M (ATI Radeon 7000, AGP 4X, 64MB)
Sound: *using MoBo
Cooling (extra): 80mm Thermaltake (45cfm, front of case, air in)
80mm Sunon (38cfm, rear of case, air out)
Other: Enmermax UC-A5FATR2B fan controller/temp monitor
Allied 300W PSU (dual tri-color LED fans)
Round IDE/Floppy cables

Misc/Other
Monitor: Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 71 (17", white)
Printer: Canon Multipass MP390 (printer/scanner/copier/fax, black & silver)
Keyboard: Belkin ergo keyboard (black)
Mouse: Logitech optical (red & silver, scroll wheel)
Modem: Toshiba PCX2200 cable modem (black)
Router: Belkin 4-port cable/DSL router (black & silver, built-in firewall)
KVM: Belkin OmniView 2-port PS/2 (black), Belkin OmniView PS/2 KVM cables (black)
Other: Blackout Buster battery backup (dark blue)
APC 500VA battery backup (black)
4-port USB 2.0 slim-line hub (silver)
9-in-1 card reader (silver)
Titanium GT 2.1 speaker system (black & silver)
Variable LED mouse pad
Antec variable LED sticks (mounted above monitor)

Last Updated: 13Jun05 (new DVD drive)

·
9,861 Posts
Why so much power for a simple file server? And why are you runing XP Home on the file server.

I use a P133 as a file server, with Win2k Pro. It servers 120GB to 3 clients just dandy. But it could use a slightly faster CPU. The file server doesn't have a monitor hooked up to it. I just access it through VNC. 100% up time.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hypnos said:
Why so much power for a simple file server? And why are you runing XP Home on the file server.

I use a P133 as a file server, with Win2k Pro. It servers 120GB to 3 clients just dandy. But it could use a slightly faster CPU. The file server doesn't have a monitor hooked up to it. I just access it through VNC. 100% up time.

I used to have the XP 1800+ in my main computer. Earlier this year I replaced it with the XP 2400+. I kept the XP 1800+ just in case. Since I already have the XP 1800+, I may as well use it in the file server. More power than needed, but it's free! :)

I also got a decent deal on WIN XP Home, so I went with that.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
hmmm is warlord buying off newegg? :biggrin:

Here's my new beast in the works

Athlon 64 3000+ - 2.0ghz
Western Digital 80GB Special Edition IDE ATA/133
Western Digital 160gb SATA
1GB Geil DDR400 Memory
128mb DDRIII FX5700 Ultra

Subject to change without notice

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I love newegg, I have way to many computers

Athl0n 666mhz
Athlon 900mhz
Athlon XP1800+
Toshiba Laptop 2.4Ghz P4
Then the new one

·
Registered
260 Posts
hmmmm..... isnt this what sites like madonion are for?

and newegg kicks major ass!!!!

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah damn it! My first bad experience with Newegg. I got my order today including the computer case. When I opened up the box I noticed that the front of the case was off. When I got her out of the box I noticed why....the front panel broke off!!!!

I'm sure I could get an RMA for it, but I would have to pay the send back shipping charge. Since the case only cost me $22 it really isn't worth sending back. Damn it.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
At work we have an old Compaq ProLiant 5000 server from our WinNT days. It's a quad-processor system that we gutted to make some smaller servers (that are just as old) work back when we converted to Win2000 some 3 years ago.

I do happen to have four 200MHz Pentium Pro processors sitting around that I pulled from the old servers... and I think I've got 512 or 768MB of Compaq SDRAM. It's kinda tempting to put it together just to see how fast it would be. I'm betting it won't be very fast... but it might be a nice little file server (all it has for HDD's are four 9GB SCSI drives in a RAID config.)

.. But that's something for when there's not much on my plate... like a couple weeks after school gets started.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
If it's a PC Power and Cooling power supply, keep it. If it's not, throw it out.

I've seen many power supplies come and many go... and none have been more reliable than ones from PC Power and Cooling.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
ximkolo said:
i have 4 computers, once i find all the links to all my parts, or as many as i can i will post them, you can look in that doom 3 thingy to see a half assed version of one of my computers now
I got two ain my room. Considering building a 3rd, but I have no room on my desk. Plus, in my house, my sister has 1, and my dad has 1 in his master bedroom, and 3 in the basement, + 1 laptop. So, a grand-total of 8.

Once I can upgrade the HD on my laptop, I'm going to re-install Mandrake Linux 9.2, take the 2nd pcmcia lan card I've got just sitting here, and connect my win2k pro computer to it.

I'm also considering buying another laptop, and connecting the new laptop along with my main computer, to a hub connected to the linux firewall laptop.

Now, if I can only address the power management problem with the pcmcia lan card

1 - 13 of 13 Posts