DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
With everone and their dog having a remote car starter nowadays, I'm trying to get an opinion from all you fellers on what an acceptable cold start-up idle time would be for our "newer" type of engines.
I have heard that typically with newer cars, you are supposed to just turn the key and go, with now warm -up time needed.
Some people say that any real idling to "warm" the car up is detrimental to the catalytic converter(some sort of build-up in it or whatever). Does anyone have any info to back this up?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Anything over 5 minutes is truely a waste of fuel and the air we breathe.
I generally am in gear within 20 or 30 seconds.

The difference here is although the warm up time before driving seems short I'm very very gentle on the throttle until my coolant is up to normal operating temperature.

Cold engines do not have round pistons, cold oil does not like high rpm and even our transmissions are not happy until they are up to temperature.

Has anyone noticed a cold transmission will not lock up the torque convertor fior the first 7 or so kilometers?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I dont leave it to warm at all. Maybe 20 sec max, thats how long it takes me to get out, close the garage door and come back.

i've been told its best to just drive slow if its really cold out like -20C. Like dont floor it on a cold day, just take it slow and get up to your desired speed.

Thats what i do and its been running good so far.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I push my trep pretty hard, so I almost always let it warm up for at least 5 minutes so that all the fluids are warmed up. Of course I’ve got a really nice remote car starter, so it’s pretty easy since I don’t have to sit in the car staring off into space while it warms up. In the rare event that I don’t pre-start it, I will usually just take off, but especially now that I have the auto-stick I’ll try and keep it under 3000 rpm until the temp needle starts moving.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Yep it's better to warm up the eng. while driving and being easy on the gas pedal then just let it idle. It warms up faster too. EG. tranny fluid is still cold if the car doesn't move same for the power steering.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
After 30 secs or so you can go, but drive moderately until the engine and associated systems come up to opersting temp.

Cheers

BJ:anon:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I usually remote start mine and let it run for at least 20 minutes...the reason is because in the winter here it is VERY cold...i like my car to be nice and toasty when i get in!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I give it 30 seconds to a minute in weather 40 or above, below that I give roughly 2 minutes of warm up, then I take it easy until the engine starts to get up to temp...... gotta love when the car bump-shifts when cold.... man I hate that feeling, I know that the tranny is pissed at me when it does that

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was kind of wondering something along the same lines... does it tak anyone elses car long to get good heat? I have remote start too and on cold days I let it idle for anywhere betweeen 15 and 30 mins but It's usually 10 miles down the road before my car finally starts to warm up... anyone else have this issue? I don't think anything is wrong just cold... sorry for the hijack --Jake

also just a PS, synthetic fluids could help with the cold shifting... I haven't personally done it but my uncle runs synthetic everything and he says the difference is amazing. Never sluggish.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Out_Cold1999 said:
I was kind of wondering something along the same lines... does it tak anyone elses car long to get good heat? I have remote start too and on cold days I let it idle for anywhere betweeen 15 and 30 mins but It's usually 10 miles down the road before my car finally starts to warm up... anyone else have this issue? I don't think anything is wrong just cold... sorry for the hijack --Jake

also just a PS, synthetic fluids could help with the cold shifting... I haven't personally done it but my uncle runs synthetic everything and he says the difference is amazing. Never sluggish.
The tranny fluid IS synthetic and the same fluid is recommended for our power-steering, other than that synthetic motor oil is a good thing for cold starts.

·
Registered
157 Posts
TERMINATOR101CA said:
The tranny fluid IS synthetic and the same fluid is recommended for our power-steering, other than that synthetic motor oil is a good thing for cold starts.

I didn't know that... but then again I probably never would've if you hadn't told me. I don't know squat about trannies so I stay away from them and pay someone when they screw up...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the replies, guys. Has anyone heard that excessive idling(at cold start-up) will eventually kill or shorten the life of your catalytic converter?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
never heard of that..... i dont see how that makes any sense, the catalytic converter wont know the car is running or idling LOL.

I would say its nothing to worry about, most cats outlive the car anyways.

Over revving a cold car is probably the worst thing you could do. My neighbour pretty much floors his car in the winter every morning so it warms up faster. that's a big NO NO in my book.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have never heard that leaving a car idling is bad for the cats either. My Intrepid usually had the heat blowing strong by the time I got into it after only having it running for 10 minutes, but I think I’ve got a bad coolant/water mixture in it, since it hasn’t been heating up as well since I did the intake manifold (probably just needs to be flushed).
Now I agree 100% that revving it up to warm it up faster isn’t good for the engine. After all if you’ve just started it none of the fluids are doing as well as they could.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Great White said:
After 30 secs or so you can go, but drive moderately until the engine and associated systems come up to operating temp.

Cheers

BJ:anon:
That's pretty much my opinion, too.

Extended idling may not harm the cat but it really doesn't get you anywhere, either ...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
At work here we leave the cars on when its that cold and they sit and run but those are police cars. Tho on really cold starts we have been told to get in and go as a few officers and got in and floored the cars resulting in some thing on the engine to crack. if im not mistaken the heads could be wrong i know tho a something blew. Me living in chicago i get in and go and take it easy till the car really warms up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts