DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a lot of people saying that this or that would void their warranty. Do a search for "Magnusson-Moss Act". Quick summary is that:
Aftermarket parts do not automatically void the warranty on your vehicle.

A manufacturer may not require you to use a specific part or brand name unless they provide it free of charge.

If you replace a part with an aftermarket unit, the original part is no longer covered. The aftermarket part will not receive the original part's warranty.

If a warranty claim is in question it is the dealer's job to prove the aftermarket part caused the failure, not your job to prove that it didn't. Innocent till proven guilty.

SEMA is very aggressive in enforcing this, and most reputable aftermarket part manufacturers are also. Many times the aftermarket manufacturer will at your request call the dealer and argue your case for you, to defend their part.

whodat

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
That is cool to know. That's what I thought would suck when I get a new car. That I wouldn't be able to touch the engine until the warranty was up.

·
Registered
562 Posts
just make sure when you take it in for warranty work that you take the NOS bottle out :)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
LOL, Sk8-4ever...

Also if u get aftermarket stuff make sure u get it installed at a dealer, that way anything stock parts attached to it are covered. If u don't, they'll blame the failure as a result of that part. And do u really want to spend time going to court to argue about it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts