DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a nice looking SUV today and though it was a new Lexus or something......i swore it said KIA on the grill.. nice lines, whatever it was..Is Kia getting a better facelift?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I second that !!!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
vancouver99 said:
Saw a nice looking SUV today and though it was a new Lexus or something......i swore it said KIA on the grill.. nice lines, whatever it was..Is Kia getting a better facelift?
What you saw was probably the Kia Sorento.

Some of it's styling features look similar to a Lexus RX.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Well after having just finished a month long car shopping excursion with my girlfriend which included looking at the Kia Serrento, I'll quadruple that comment. Been there, sat in it, driven it. It's just another KIA...

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
I drove one for about 50 miles. City, highway and very light off road.

The vehicle is very well put together, the materials rival our beloved Dodge/Chrysler, and for the most part, if I closed my eyes I could have sworn I was driving my Father-in-Law's Jeep Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
We compared it to the Honda CRV and quite honestly, we didn't feel it compared at all. The CRV was better built, felt just as strong under accelleration (even though it only has an I4), gets much better gas mileage, was cheaper and has some real resale value...

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Kia = Budget vehicle with a (much needed) good warranty... They're getting better, but still a tin can... Kinda like how Hyundai started out...although I'd still never own one of those ither... :)

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Kia Motors was founded in 1944 as Kyungsung Precision Industry making bicycle parts by hand. The company was originally located in Seoul, but moved to Pusan during the Korean War. While in Pusan, Kia produced Korea’s first bicycle and took its current name in 1951.

In 1961 Kia produced Korea’s first motorcycle and in 1962, the country’s first truck – the 3-wheel K360. Kia also produced Korea’s first gasoline engine in 1973 and, in October 1974, Korea’s first passenger car – the Brisa. The Brisa became the first Korean vehicle to be exported, when it was sold in the Middle East. Korea’s first diesel engine was also produced by Kia, in 1978.

Kia continued to compete in the automotive industry until 1997, when it fell victim to the Asian financial crisis of that year and was taken over by the Hyundai Business Group the following year. The Hyundai Automotive Group was founded in 2000 and Kia and Hyundai Motor Company became sister companies along with parts supplier Hyundai Mobis and a number of other companies. Kia is currently Korea’s second largest manufacturer and its oldest.
Kia = Hyundai = Kia

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I have to admit.. the first Kias.. the Sephia.. you're better writing it off to get your money back the same day.. nightmares in all fields... and the sportage was barely any better.

I was working in a Ford/Lincoln dealership when they first launched Kia, and the owner's wife opened up a kia dealership. What a nightmare!!

Anyways, the ones I see theese days rolling around.. Magentis here in Canada looks VERy good. So does that sorento.

And I know.. their cars, hands down, look far far more appealing than any Hyundai, ever. Including the sloweron

·
Registered
689 Posts
Meh, there's nothing really wrong with Hyundai or Kia. They both buld decent cars. They're all good value, and quality is getting better. Keep in mind, when the Japanese manufacturers first started over in North America, their main selling point was value also. The cars were often crap on some level, but cheap. As we all know, they've gotten better (or at least have incredeble p.r. and advertising departments). My parents bought a '99 Elantra a couple of months ago, and the few times I've driven it, it's felt nice (like an Intrepid that was shrunk in the wash). Sure, fit and finish is nothing particulairly special, but then again, who are we to talk about fit and finish?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Fit and finish... no kidding.

If DC put a warranty on their vehicles like Kia/Hyundai, they'd be bankrupt in a week.

·
Registered
518 Posts
my wife drives the 01 Hyundai Santa Fe. I think its a great car and you can't beat the warranty. Good looking ride with moderate power put out by the 2.7L V6.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When Kia first came into the market in U.S. it was the biggest junk car on the road. But after time and many comments from customers they have corrected many problems with there cars. I myself have a 2000 and use it as my daily driver for work and it's been the best investment cause I drive 250+ miles a week still with gas in the tank to spare. 0 problems, on top of that 10 year warranty.

Vinny

1 - 20 of 26 Posts