DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been a lot of intake questions here. I would like to mess around with the idea of forced air. My biggest worry is moisture getting into the intake. How do you prevent water from getting into the intake? How did the older shaker style intakes prevent water from getting in? How do the ram air hoods prevent water from getting in? Do air filters resist water? If air can get through i'm sure water can.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Small amounts of water will not hurt the motor, the water vaporizes and gets mixed up with all the air/fuel in the cylinder. As long as you don't scoop up a puddle, (that would create "hydro-static lock" :( ). Bends and twists that are present in the intake system really help to limit the entrance of water. remember: vapor OK, water BAD.
I had thought about running two small scoops out the hood just above the throttles, and using short ducting to connect them, but a rainstorm would prove disasterous. hope that helps!!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
they used to 'water inject' cars. Water expands with more force when it is boiled than gas does...(more force=more power) so little bits of water atcually give you more power that runnin in dry weather... :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Originally posted by Lafrad:
they used to 'water inject' cars. Water expands with more force when it is boiled than gas does...(more force=more power) so little bits of water atcually give you more power that runnin in dry weather... :)
so would that be why my car seems to have more pick up after it has rained?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
no.. that's cuz the road is wet and your tires don't hold the road as well. :) My old olds knew this... couldn't even get a squak off the tires on dry pavement.. but I always had trouble not spinning out (limited slip front end) and sliding of the road at stop signs... weee!

Atcually.. there is the possibility that more power is generated, but not because of water vapor. Damp air holds it temp better than dry air, and probably is colder by the time it travels through the hot plenum and Intake manifold. and cold air is better

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: Lafrad ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts