DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My intrepid overheated and died 4 or 5 months ago. I figured it was toast, so I never tried to restart it until a week ago. When I did, I checked all fluids (oil was half qt low /w around 2,500miles since last oil change), no anti-freeze.

I put in some water upto the cold fill line; let it sit for a minute to see how quick it would disburst. Started it, rough start, gave it a little gas, perfect ideal. So I moved it to the street so I could mow and see where the water was leaking.

The water was leaking from right behind the balancer, so I ask a local mechanic who has done work on the 3.5's and he said it was the water pump. The 3.5 has about 70k miles on it and has overheated more times than I can count (one time it was ran out of anti-freeze, others were fan related, but always had fluid). This last time I was on the highway and it overheated for about 7 miles. It had fluid, so I just sat and would drive a few more miles until it started going to the RED line, then stop and let it cool. It was about 5 degrees outside /w probably 10MPH winds, so it was REALLY cold the day it overheated. Then it just shot up to the red line REALLY FAST and died before I could stop. Do you think it would worth fixing?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I'd fix it. Its easy to do, just take off your accessory belts, remove the radiator fans, take off the timing cover and its right there. I'd recommend changing the timing belt and timing belt tensioner while you're in there. All in all, you'll be out of about $175 for the pump, timing belt, tensioner and coolant. Which is alot cheaper than the $700-750 that a shop will want.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking about doing, I just don't care to spend 175.00 if it's more than likely toast. Which I don't think it's toast because it started like a champ and none of the fliuds mixed.

Another question, since the water pump is bad, does that mean there is no water in the engine? And is there a way to make sure the fluids wont mix (ie, bad head)? And if there was a real issue it would more than likely make some odd noises? Because when I ran it for a brief minute it didn't make any noises other than a slight hum which my friends 91 olds cutlass 3.1 made a similiar noise when the water pump was bad, but after the new pump was put in all was well.

Or just buy the belt, gears, and pumps and spend several hours putting in the new gears and pump and see what happens.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It's likely its just the o-ring thats leaking, which means the engine is fine as long as you've kept coolant in it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any water I put in drains out right away. I didn't drive it after it went into the RED zone though. It's sat all winter and now I'm considering fixing it. Though, I may just sell it because I was considering a L67 swap on a 94' cutlass. I know if there is a water in a motor over the winter it can crack the block, though I never put water in it over the winter, it may not have had any anti-freeze after it over heated. would that cause a problem?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
not if you stopped driving it

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I stopped driving it several months ago after it overheated and died. I figured since it died it probably siezed and the way it shot up into the red was freaky.

What do you me by, "not if you stopped driving it"

·
Registered
35 Posts
I dought your engine is toast if it only got hot once and not run for a period of time hot.your thermostate probably is stuck as well as the bad water pump,maybe even a tensioner kit is well advised as long as you are in that deep.Don't give up on a good car with such a simple problem but bunch of work.
Jakestune

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced the tranny (2003 /w 22k), t-stat. axels, and in/out sensors last year. Then I bought a 95' Cutlass as a backup in case the trep went down again. Now i'm looking at doing a L67 swap on my 94' Cutlass /w a bad tranny.

I want to save the intrepid if its possible because that car rocks. It has 164k on the car, but the motor has 70k on a rebuild. And the car is quicker than any other 1G intrepid I've come across.

I just don't want to fix something if its too far gone. But I didn't think the car would start since it just went from about mid way up the temp guage to HOT in like 10 seconds. It died before I could stop and when I looked under the hood it was steaming like crazy. I figured there was a hole in the radiator, but that isn't the case. The steam was coming from the motor (I assume same area that water is leaking from, the bottom behind the balancer).

Is there any pre-checks I should perform before I put a new pump in. Anything that may tell me wheather it's worth it, or is it just hit and miss.

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts