DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and searched but can't find this, can anyone tell me about how much one would expect to pay if they were to get the water pump and timing belts on a 2.7 changed. Just found out, although I had a feeling, that my water pump is going. I thought I saw on here that it is cheaper to just put in a 3.2 or a 3.5 but the one mechanic at my shop said that just replacing it would be a lot cheaper. Can someone give me any idea what a reasonable mechanic would charge for replacing the pump and belt and also what it may cost to do a swap to a 3.2/3.5, 3.5 preferred.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The 2.7 doesn't have a belt it has a chain. The cost to replace the waterpump is between $600 and $900 depending on where you go. It is listed as 8 hours labor so shops with higher labor rates (ie: chrysler/dodge dealer) cost more. The pump itself costs around $75 and they usualy also replace the thermostat which adds another $25 or so. a good 3.2/3.5 will usually run $1200+ add at least another $1000 if you want a mechanic to install it. Some Yards and members on this site can do it for less if you live near them but a waterpump on a 2.7 should still be much cheaper as long as no other damage (spun bearing from oil contamination or bent valve from timeing problems) have occurred. If you want to replace the chain and tensioner as well add about another $150-200 for parts, no aditional labor since the chain has to come off to replace the water pump anyway.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot. I meant chain btw just stressed over this and rushed the post. Maybe it would be best to just do the pump! I definitely need a radiator, that is why the coolant is rushing out from under my car but the guy also looked at the pump to see if that was going to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried to replace it myself not a job you want to do. Got it done but I still had to take it to the dealer to get timming right. had most of the front of the car apart and top of the engine to get it done.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just got quotes $1966.00. taxes in from my local dealer to do both water pump and timing chain. Neither are gone "yet", but I would prefer to get it done BEFORE it does go lol

Although I am not sure how to tell if it is going. No fluid on the ground, and no coolant in my oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts