DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while replacing my water pump on my 94 3.3 concorde one bolt had broke,so i proceded to remove the radiator and tried to attempt to drill it out .well to make a long story short , I was tired , upset, a was not thinking clearing and i just or am doing a very bad job trying to get this last bolt off,please help.

·
Registered
531 Posts
izit2007 said:
while replacing my water pump on my 94 3.3 concorde one bolt had broke,so i proceded to remove the radiator and tried to attempt to drill it out .well to make a long story short , I was tired , upset, a was not thinking clearing and i just or am doing a very bad job trying to get this last bolt off,please help.
First get some rest so you can think clearly. Relax. Get someone who has good mechanical knowledge to give you a second set of eyes on the problem. They may be able to take one look and tell you exactly how to get that bolt out. It never hurts to get a different perspective. If you need a special tool, an easy out, something like that, then don't be afraid to buy it. Tools are an investment and you'll probably need it again someday anyhow.

The important thing is to step back, rethink the whole thing, and get a fresh grip on the problem.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Is the bolt broken off flush to the part/block? If not, hit it with penetrating fluid several times and let it sit overnight (periodically reapplying) and try to grab it in the morning with vice grips. have a helper hit the centre of the bolt with a punch and hammer to help shock it loose as you work it back and forth slowly.
"Easy outs" are often a mis-nomer. They are very hard steel in order to grab the comparitively soft bolt. The problem with this is that they are very brittle because they are so hard. Break one off and you'll know what "hard to drill" really is. About all that will cut an "easy out" is a real cobalt bit, and they ain't cheap or easy to find. If you use and easy out, take your time and go slow, apply lots of pentrating fluid and let it sit first. If the bolt was frozen enough to twist the head off, it will most likely break off the easy out if your don't prep it first be loosening the corrosion in some way (penetrating fluid, heat, shock, etc).

There's also options of welding to the broken bolt and drilling the entire bolt out but these may be past your abitities at home.

If you do elect to drill the bolt out, make sure you use a centre punch to start in the middle of the bolt and ensure you keep the drill square to the surface to keep from ruining the threads in the block/part.

And Indiana is right about rest. When you feel tired and frustrated, it's time to walk away. To "push on" when tired and frustrated only means more broken parts and possible spilling of blood and profanity.

He's also right about purchasig the proper tools, but I'll use any excuse to add another "shiny" to my roll around anyways!
God I LOVE buying new tools! (no stupid comments now ladies and gentlemen, tools are not to be taken lightly)

Good luck

BJ

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I Believe the threads are already ,well pretty much destroyed.i am going to step back and tackle this another day.thanks you so much.

·
Registered
531 Posts
izit2007 said:
I Believe the threads are already ,well pretty much destroyed.i am going to step back and tackle this another day.thanks you so much.
I agree with Great White, an Easy Out can be a big problem if you bust it off. I've done that myself and they are near impossible to extract if you do that. Sometimes you need a new approach, like getting a high quality drill bit and using it in a Dremel Tool at 10,000 rpms or something to get rid of enough of the old bolt that the rest can be knocked free. You may need to drill out the hole larger and install a helicoil to get back to the proper bolt size.

I once spent a few after work evenings just getting one lousy busted off bolt out of my old Ford Ranger's exhaust pipe connection at the manifold. Probably 8 or 9 hours total to get out the one bolt. By the way, I busted off an Easy Out in it along the way.

Fresh attitude and another pair of eyes (which also carry some moral support) are a big help, in any case.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Indiana, nice car. It looks familar though, I think I've seen it somehwere befo.....

waita minute:

Oh yeah it looks like mine.

Good taste you have there.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Great White said:
Indiana, nice car. It looks familar though, I think I've seen it somehwere befo.....

waita minute:

Cheers

BJ
Watch out, that sharks gonna eat your car!!!!!1111111shiftone

·
Registered
375 Posts
i did the same thing only all but 1 bolt broke off so i just bought a new timing chain cover and gasket takes long, but i hate drilling bolts out.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Great White said:

waita minute:

Cheers

BJ
Yup, they sure do have some resemblance going. And I think Stone White is an awesome color for these cars. I wouldn't put mine underwater with the sharks though, the moonroof might leak... Question: your car has black in the grille opening area. What years/models came with that? Mine is an 03 SXT and it's all white there. I kinda like the black!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Great White said:

waita minute:

Cheers

BJ
That pic reminds me of the time I raced a Barracuda.... sorry....!

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
Looks kinda fishy to me :3some:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts